Ditching my old Dual Intel Xeon setup for Threadripper

Hey guys, I am considering ditching my old workstation (Dual Intel Xeon E5-26xx (20c/40t), 32GB DDR4, SuperMicro motherboard) due to hardware limitations (no onboard audio, very few USB headers on the motherboard, only SATA headers and so on…) and I am looking into Threadrippers. I am usually compiling software (anything from small projects up to Linux kernels, Virtual Machines, containers, all 9 yards) but also some number-crunching for my scientific projects (I dig into prime numbers too often).

What are your recommendations? Thanks.

Not accounting for your money. Any new threadripper is great option for you. Personally I would go with 32 core variant as 64 one has lower clock speed.
You also need to be wary of threadripper and threadripper pro if I remember correctly pro require some kind of ecc memory. Alghtou it has more pcie lines.

Or wait, not long ago was reveal of new epyc server cpus. Usually threadripper follow suit.

I am not in rush, so I can definitely wait. I am looking at 24 core right now but may go for 32 cores later.

The I would wait perhaps for sale of older threadrippers. Or for new better threadripper.

Wendyl did comparison of 64 core threadripper vs top 2 x 28(?) xeons, in which predictibly threaripper slaughtered xeons.

I wouldn’t be surprised, if Epyc on SP3, would be entering swan song territory.

TR-Pro would be more viable, if needing sizeable amount of PCIe peripherals / more memory channels [OEM Lenovo, likely being the better route of availability, but mainboards are creeping on out]… Guess we’ll have to wait and see, if the next TR chip iteration, is using a different socket all together [which I’d hope not so], or can they entertain [easy BIOS] drop-in support for TRX40 boards

Yeah but that’s under assumption AMD will deliver new TRs and not ditching the old TRs altogether.

I could have gone TR4 but I got a 3900X instead. It’s not a bad chip, but figuring out it’s weirdness is a little bumpy.

it looks like August is the date (Rumors of TR 5000 series.) so I have plenty of time.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.