Distro-plate Desk PC

Little about what I want for the actual PC.
Budget: $2000 Lets not make a point to spend it all
USA
No Preferred retailer
Going for a triple screen set up
Mouse and keyboard I will take recommendation on those
I will be gaming (FPS, RTS, RPG, Adventure), messing around in CAD programs Fusion 360, FreeCAD, Sketchup
Overclocking is not required but will consider it if no major physical modding is required. This project will have enough of that already
There will be water cooling of the CPU and GPU and other parts if not necessary or to much trouble.
Sticking with windows 10, want to learn Linux in the future

Little about ME:
Grew up country; swamp people, no not that country. I mean we had cows, goats few hogs, a garden, not that big of a garden but I could sell the extra we had out beside the highway…I did say country right.
Day Job: Software Developer
Hobbies: DIY anything if it is fun and does not turn into crap. Amateur Carpenter

I have a PC now that i put together back in 2013
I7-3770K
OCZ Technology 128GB
Corsair AIO H100
Corsair Vengeance Blue 16 GB DDR3 SDRAM
Corsair CX750 Builder Series ATX 80 PLUS Bronze Certified Power Supply
Gigabyte Intel Z77 LGA 1155 ATX Motherboard GA-Z77X-UD3H
i was gifted in 2015 a GTX 1080
and i found a corsair 300d Case at the dumpster at my apartment

So time for an upgrade.
I got board typing that but I am not deleting it now

Taking all Ideas into consideration. I have included some here mainly the LTT deskPC build

This will be a desk pc with all components in the desk…duh as thin as i can get it 3 maybe 4 inches 75-100mm
as for the layout of the parts that is up to me but it is nothing fancy
The motherboard and GPU will be at the back of the desk
The GPU will be on its side using a PCI riser or extension
the unused areas will be filled with water distro plates and radiators Check out the narrow radiators from Alpha Cool . They were used in Linus’s desk pc build and their mounting and plumbing options are great for this.

Now what i need help with
Also not waiting for next gen product so please dont suggest those
what CPU? I’ m going AMD this time around but not ThreadRipper.
RyZen 9 whats the difference in 3900x or 3950x or 5900x or 5950x or 5600?
What Motherboard?
onboard WIFI Bluetooth
onboard 1 or 10 GB NIC but will consider expansion card
USB headers and ports than i can shake a stick at
More SATA ports
i want to run 2 water cooled GPUs but 1 is fine; I can use the one i got already but will look at others
16GB of RAM Min
Any help is welcomed. Thanks in advance.

3 Likes

I think Ryzen 5000 beats 3000 pretty handily, so I would stick with that. For a software developer and a CAD user, cores are king so I would shoot for something like the 5950x or 5900x, depending on budget.

I’m looking at a 5950x build on the asrock x570 creator for my next personal build, but that might fit your needs to with its built-in 10GB networking. I think it has 8 sata ports and 2 m.2 slots ( as long as you don’t use the third PCIe slot)

Yeah thanks allot. Knowing a good Mobo and cpu combination is my by biggest hang up.

1 Like

Here is a video that covers amd motherboards pretty well: Best Motherboards for AMD Ryzen 5000 CPUs: X570, B550 for Gaming & Content Creation - YouTube

thanks that helps a lot. i was try to by a board with more pci lanes than i needed that wold have been a waste. Are right angled ports an evga thing only or do other manufacturers make boards with right angle power and sata all around the board

All AMD Ryzen chipsets with processor will give you 24 PCI lanes, 20 are “user configurable/Vendor configurable”. As good as you can do in this range of CPUs and budget. But it is plenty.

I am not sure you will be able to reach your goals with this budget though - how is that going?

For example this may be beyond the 2k budget - “2 water cooled GPUs but 1 is fine”. I have found that motherboards, GPUs, Power Supplies, memory are all overpriced right now.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.