Distant directional Mic advice

Hi there !

My setup now consists of Jack mic which is very loud and picks up every sound in my house, even with closed doors can hear people speaking in the next room which triggers auto input.

With the limited experience with microphones and limited options to test everything out - I ask for the advice on the directional Mic, that can be used in these conditions:

1. HTPC/gaming PC, so basically some skype calls, discord and in-game voice;
  2. I’m sitting 1,5-2 meters (4,5-6 feet) away from the Mic right now and want the next mic be roughly same distance away from me;
  3. Mic can be XLR or USB one;
  4. budget up to -/+100EUR (110$) including audio controller, if it is XLR;

Thank You in advance!

Maybe Rode Videomicro ? Shotgun Mic?

Rode Videomic is already more than the budget amount, and still need a preamplifier/interface

dynamic microphones are best for background noise rejection
they are the usual microphones used in broadcast studios
broadcast studio is not sound treated and can be noisy, unlike a recording studio
but a dynamic mic has to be worked from close range

I was using a Samson Q7 microphone (good copy of a Shure SM58)
that would leave about 2/3 of budget for a cheap preamplifier

most usb audio interfaces within your whole budget generally do not have enough gain in the preamplier section to boost a dynamic mic to good level for pc

Rode podcaster is a good Dynamic USB mic with headphone monitoring
but needs to be worked close

Could just use a pre-amp and boost to mic-level input levels for PC.

Edit: The Samson Q7 costs 30€ here, and $70 in the US? Dafuq?

Rode Videomicro costs around 45eur (50$) here. the same in amazon.

Only thing that is a Jack mic. From my “fancier” friends heard that i’m a pleb by still using jack mic :smiley:
That said - video reviews show that it isn’t that bad, actually it is very well received and used by wannabe Steven Spielbergs a lot.

• samson one is not available in our country. :frowning:

If I may ask, where in the world are you? Would make suggestions easier.

1 Like

Latvia

1 Like

I think Thomann ships there. Should make shopping for audio equipment a lot easier.

1 Like

I haven’t seen a video mic that small from rode before
that needs 3v plug-in power from a pc/camera etc
100Hz-20kHz would be not good for deeper pitched voice
and cardiod pattern would not be tight enough to block much background noise

you would need something more like a true shotgun mic
lots more slots along the sides for a tighter pattern
9v battery version to be independent from later devices, and hotter signal
but probably not within budget for rode brand

3 Likes

I don’t know wtf is going on with microphones either

i have seen some mics i like the look of real cheap in US, not available here in UK
and is a mix of US and european brands

makes no sense

2 Likes

Try ebay or whatever auction site you can get cheap enough

Rode NTG-2 for < $100usd

At that distance you’ll hear the room a lot especially without treatment. Shotgun not great indoors; cut the lows to balance it out a bit. Best option is move the mic closer or ceiling mount it if you can dig that. Don’t use dynamic at > a few inches, it won’t pick up. Get any supercardioid condenser that fits your budget; won’t be much for that but it can happen, definitely buy used

If your mic is good enough and you don’t need to upgrade it for better sound quality I would suggest looking for sound mixer physical or virtual.

I use voicemeter banana to turn up the gait until my mic no longer picks up any audio.

I use a blue snowball, so it almost always picked up background sounds.

Setup is relatively easy if you find a good guide on YouTube

https://www.vb-audio.com/Voicemeeter/banana.htm

Alternatively I would suggest looking into either a wireless gaming headset or use your phone for discord voice (that way you don’t have too many wires).

You want a mic that’ll pick up your voice from 6 feet away? Normally I’d want the mic to be more like 6 inches away for that. In general I’d say to acoustically treat the room if you can and get a shotgun mic (or maybe even parabolic), but those are both just educated guesses. All my experience is with live music and presentations and such… all stuff where I could just put the mics wherever I wanted.

1 Like