Displayport cutting out, AOC U3477PQU (Ultrawide)

Hi, I'm on my second AOC U3477PQU now (just arrived 23rd Dec) and I'm experiencing the same / similar issues... so, instead of sending it back for another replacement, I figure that I should ask if anyone has seen these issues and knows if it is a monitor issue, or something else... before I send it back.

1st monitor (exchanged for a new replacement):
- Popping noises / screen cutting off and then back on a couple of seconds later. (sometimes when just turned on / coming out of sleep, other times just randomly)
- If the monitor goes to sleep for a few hours, it will not always turn back on. I have to cut the power to it (mains plug, the button next to the power input will not do it) to get the monitor to be detected...
- I bought a longer display port cable (5m) which will not work with this display... don't know why. (Might be because it was cheap)

2nd monitor:
- Screen cutting off and then back on a couple of seconds later. (sometimes when just turned on / coming out of sleep, other times just randomly) seems to be longer to come back on than the 1st monitor
- If the monitor goes to sleep for a few hours, it will not always turn back on. I have to cut the power to it (mains plug, the button next to the power input will not do it) to get the monitor to be detected...
- Same longer cable won't work... maybe the cable is crap.
I've set DDC/CI to "No" after seeing somewhere that it could be the issue for the sleep issue, doesn't seem to have done anything.
I've checked that the monitor is set to Displayport 1.2
- Cuts out more randomly when I'm using the PC compared to the last one... can be for multiple seconds, even requiring the power to be turned off to bring it back online (as it is in use, it shouldn't be a sleep thing...?)

System Specs:
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VIII Hero
CPU: Intel i7-6700K (not OC'd as of)
RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX
GPU: ASUS Strix 980ti
Primary monitor: AOC U3477PQU (Connected via Displayport) at 60Hz
Secondary monitor: Dell / Alienware2310 something or other (Connected via DVI) at 120hz
GPU Diver: 359.06 updated to 361.43

Additional,
- Popping noises appear to tie in with the DP signal being lost.
- I've checked the supplied cable from AOC, it is a proper Displayport cable - Pin 20 is not connected
- Screen seems to work 100% OK on the HDMI connection (at 30Hz)

I did see something somewhere to have both the DP and HDMI connected as it could help to maintain the screen... yeah, it doesn't - the DP signal still dropped, and it wouldn't come back on.

Could it be a shorted display port on you GPU? I had a similar problem with my 750ti when I had that in my server build.

Potentially, but I think I have tried all 3 of the ports on this 980ti... all behave the same. So, I guess that would either be the monitor port, or something else...?

The DisplayPort is the only connection that isn't working correctly? Does the HDMI work?

Yes, HDMI works correctly (only at 30Hz). I've not tried the VGA or DVI, as I do not have spare ports for these.

So, I suck at photographing things, but I've taken a few pictures of the monitor displayport - not sure if it is my camera skills, or if it looks a little distorted...?

As opposed to the ports on the GPU... although, again, my photo skills...

You have 4 issues with the monitor. I'd send it back before its more trouble.

Aoc are OK monitors but their cheap for a reason. You could try your luck at a third one and see if it has the same issues.

1 Like

AOC have said that their testing shows nothing wrong with the original monitor...

ASUS have got me to roll my display driver back to 353.62 (didn't help) and to downgrade to 30Hz... it's terrible on a big screen...
However, I've not had any issues with the display going off... Additionally, my 5m cable is now providing a view able image at 30Hz (instead of nothing)
The one which came with the monitor (2m long, stated as E164571-KS, Style 20276 by Bizlink).
The other is a 5m Value cable bought from Overclockers.co.uk... (5m long, stated as E342978, style 20276).

So, does that leave me as needing a premium cable (well, one listed as meeting the DP standard)? - or have you some other conclusions...?

1 Like

I got the same problem with my U3477PQU, same cable E164571-KS and same issues. Did you manage to find a solution? I am thinking of returning the monitor, however the monitor quality is awesome, almost no backlight bleeding.

Hey, yeah... no solution as of yet.

I have a Belkin cable on order - so this is supposed to be a "certified" DP cable. If the monitor has issues with that cable, then I've convinced it is the monitor & it will be going back - either via AOC again (3rd time lucky?) or to Overclockers and I get my money back :(

Via ASUS support, I have tried an older driver that they told me to (didn't help), I have also tried the onboard GPU... I get the same issue via the onboard (even at 30Hz), so I am pretty sure it is the monitor (or cable) and not my PC.
The only other thing to try is the onboard without my Strix connected, but it's probably not going to fix the issue.

As AOC say they didn't see any issue with the 1st monitor, if the new cable doesn't work, I'm going to push them for more info on their testing (method and components).

1 Like

Thanks for your quick answer. Please tell me if the new cable will solve this issue. Hope it will...

They probably test it at room temperature 70f at the coldest. They hear no popping sound so they conclude the monitor is fine. If they were to test in a very cold room like yours, i'm assuming, then they would hear the popping sound when the monitor is cooling off.

Well, the new cable is here and at 60Hz, it is doing the same thing - loss of signal.

So, in summary (intending to paste this into and e-mail to AOC)
60Hz from the ASUS Strix or the onboard video = loss of signal, an rarely refreshes back.
30Hz from the ASUS Strix = fine. No loss of signal, but painful to do anything with at 30 Hz
30Hz from the onboard = loss of signal, tends to recover OK, but not 100%
29Hz from the onboard = loss of signal, tends to recover OK, but not 100%

That is with 3 different cables: 2m (supplied with monitor), 5m "value", 3m Belkin... and the 5m doesn't work at 60Hz.

I guess it's time to ask AOC for specifics about their test setup, method, etc... or return, bad review (warning to others), and buy something else...

Hi Vikki,

I've dealt with ASUS and the problem still exists...
60Hz from the ASUS Strix or the onboard video = loss of signal, and rarely refreshes back.
30Hz from the ASUS Strix = fine. No loss of signal, but painful to do anything with at 30 Hz
30Hz from the onboard = loss of signal, tends to recover OK, but not 100%
29Hz from the onboard = loss of signal, tends to recover OK, but not 100%

That is with 3 different cables: 2m (supplied with monitor), 5m "value", 3m Belkin... and the 5m doesn't work at 60Hz.Short of pulling the Strix out from this PC and trying the onboard completely by it's self, I don't know what else to try from my PC's point of view...

Can you please supply details of the testing carried out on the 1st monitor? - cable used, test PC / other, duration, refresh rate, etc...? - something to try and narrow down what is causing the problem.

I'm kind of at the point where this one is in need of A. Some beacon of light from your test setup, B. Another replacement... 3rd time lucky?, or C. Return to Overclockers & get my money back - try a different brand.

That is pretty bad, guess I will return the monitor also. I also contacted AOC and they didn't even reply to me (4-5 days ago). I am thinking also to replace this with another, maybe it won't have any issues or get the money back and buy something else ...

The 3m Belkin cable, what model it is?

Searching for a solution to this issue, I found this:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?s=3d3eb41e49d9dae9b8fe6eb17213c9cd&t=1827296&page=9 (hope it is ok to post a link from another forum). Seems this cable works! http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005H3Q59U?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00

1 Like

Turns out the Belkin one isn't the one I was hoping for... further inspection of the packaging / small print - seems to be an older model, maybe not capable of the full resolution at 60Hz...
But, if that is true, and the same problems occur with the supplied cable, did AOC effectively supply a non compatible cable? Something to ponder

So, I've just ordered this one - http://www.amazon.co.uk/CSL-Displayport-latches-transmission-certified/dp/B015PRPPS4/
Will keep you posted.

I had simliar issues with DP 1.2 driving 4k@60hz. Out of a small handful of cables I tried, only one 15ft cable would work (it still blinks briefly; maybe 1-2 times per day), the others just wouldn't do full res or refresh, but would allow lower resolutions. UHD@60hz is maxing out the bandwidth of DP 1.2, so it's kind of fickle at that top end. Only some cables work, and the longer cables typically drop the "HBR" label. Anyway, you're resolution is so close to UHD that I think you're just pushing the limits of the cabling. If I were you I'd find a certified DP HBR2 cable that's as short as possible for your situation. The longer the cable, the more problems you'll run into. Just my experience, though. Hope it helps.

Well, that new cable didn't work @60Hz - signal dropped with a nice popping noise...

Interestingly, I didn't see any crashes at 60Hz when I had Skyrim open for a good few hours last night.

Additional, just been running the screen at 2560x1440 & still got a loss of signal...