Discussion: MKBHD Intel build

Hello world,

I just came accross Marqueses video on him building his first “PC in 7 years”. Link below. I was wondering, was there any mistakes other than the RAM. I find the 2x32 Stupid as it slows down the PC too much also at 5600-30 it would be quite slow… Although he said “LTT Specced this out”, kinda bothered. Maybe it’s time for Wendell to explain RAM speeds again with EXPO, I’m hyped.

The build looks pretty cool but, Team blue? AMD is just releasing the latest n greatest…

1 Like

I was confused about the issues with the pump and cooler. I’ve never used an AIO water cooler. I thought the biggest concern is that the pump should not be at the highest point. With the tubes up, are there similar issues with wearing out the pump, or is it a noise issue??

Wow, that’s quite the flex here from Linus! Remember both channels competed a few years ago on being the first to 10m subs and LTT lost (by a fair margin). And now LTT sponsors an MKBHD video on PC building :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

The pressure cancels out the gravitational pull. “So it doesn’t matter”?

Only issue with the AIO is that it has a long way to the mass of cold air. Because of the thick front panel filter and whatnot.

I think it’s more to get more views for the LTT screwdriver. MKBHD has a very large audience that probably doesn’t completely overlap with LTT’s audience.

I think there has been a friendly rivalry between them. I think Linus’ office is currently decked out in MKBHD colors. I can’t remember if that was the price to pay for losing the race to 10M subs. I think Linus’ wife was the one that redid the office.

I was totally wrong…

The pump should be in the lowest point. If it is in the CPU block then you are good.

2 Likes

I think there’s that lamp in Linus’s office that resembles a G4 back in the days also lol

Is Wendell going to be looking at the A770’s performance on linux before they come out?

1 Like

Not before they come out, sadly. I have an A380 but its been a bit sketch.

They’re fixing it almost as fast as I complain about it though. If you know where to look I’ve been prodding developers :smiley:

2 Likes

Sorry to derail the conversation but do you have any idea if they can backport the support for the drivers to older kernels?

I am a bit interested in the A770 but since I am using Fedora 36 at home, it looks like the newer kernel 6.x wont be coming to Fedora 37 yet this October and I’d rather not mess with custom kernels because I’d rather not risk spousal ire if something breaks because my kid is using our computer for online schooling purposes…

1 Like

I believe Mr Larabel has benchmarks out now over on phoronix:

It seems to echo similar results from other online influencers, the only problem is, unsurprisingly, the performance dips when it comes to proton. Native titles work well, particularly Total War:Three Kingdoms, which seems to surpass 3070 performance.

Overall, the A770 cards is only good (trades blows with 3060/6600) for more recent titles, games with native linux support. You get a great benefit if you need the hardware encoders as well. It is excellent for 1080p gaming and you can probably manage 1440 with medium settings.

Caveat is like I said on the post above, you need bleeding edge kernel (6.1) and bleeding edge mesa, which I am not comfortable using.

its pretty easy to get kernel6 going on F36; I did that in some video I did recently to test, worked fine

2 Likes

Thanks for the response, also while we are on this. Do you know if Epyc 7002 or newer have resizable bar / SAM? I can’t find it mentioned anywhere.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.