Discord Screen Sharing on Xorg

So, my problem is when I try to screenshare on Linux with discord (on Fedora 30 now, but was like this on Fedora 29 too), I cannot select a single screen or window to share, but instead I it always shares ALL my screens at once, no mather what I pick. Witch yeah sure whatever, except it’s completely pointless because it’s impossible to read a word with that kind of resolution. I might as well not bother sharing my screen(s).

Has anyone gotten that to work on xorg and how? Or if you use wayland did it work without any issues? I can’t use wayland right now, becuase nvidia. But that may be a very compelling reason to jump on the navi bandwagon soon tm’ish.

this is a discord issue rather than a xorg issue. You can share individual windows with xshm or Xcomposite, but linux discord is an electron wrapper for the webapp and doesn’t support that functionality to my knowledge.

1 Like

Not necessarily what I was hoping to hear. But thanks anyways.

What I’ve found googeling is that xorg essentially treats displays as one single unit underneath so that might be a problem. Although, it can be solved as seen by OBS for example (witch unfortunately does not mean we can solve it for discord for sure thought…).

I don’t think ‘it’s a electron wrapper’ is a problem. It’s an electron wrapper on Windows too. It’s electron everywhere. But it might be that they just have not implemented it well for Linux in comparinson to windows.

But, because of that ‘xorg is essentially treading your display as one unti’ part I figured maybe it works fine on wayland. That’s why I tried to ask very specifically wether or not it works fine for people using wayland with PCs with multiple displays.

what I meant is that they didn’t implement xcomposite or xshm support at all, not that electron wasn’t necessarily capable of that

electron is a huge red flag if you come in expecting actual platform support on linux because if they aren’t bothering to develop a real application they probably aren’t bothering with dozens of other things either.

You maybe know any other way of scrensharing if discord does not work out for me?

rdp or parsec

A lot of ways actually.

• Skype screen sharing worked the right way last time I used it.
  • any remote desktop program even commercial ones like TeamViewer, Anydesk you can limit the users privileges so they can’t control your PC.
  • OBS stream to Youtube unlisted stream ? ( did it for a couple of game nights )

I don’t really want to have people RDP into my machine. I just wanna have them be able to see what I’m doing, not be ‘me’. Most importantly be able to read lines of code rather than gameplay. Does not really matter what the technology was made for if it was made for games so be it. But I don’t really wanna do a across the web RDP or teamviewer session for that. And youtube streaming seems like a ugly lot’ s of effort (compared what it should be) workaroud too to me too.

Maybe a shared Google docs ? If it’s only to transmit text, that’s good enough. low on the bandwidth also with perfect quality.

Jitsi is a conference/meeting kind of software. I am not sure you can share screens on it, I haven’t used it.

Otherwise Youtube stream with a bigger font in my eyes would be okay.

parsec, skype, google chat, there’s more than one ways to skin this cat

FWIW Teamviewer has worked for me in the past, haven’t tried it lately though. IIRC their linux build is basically a tarball of a custom WINE prefix lol, but don’t quote me on that…

Didn’t there used to be some decent free online screensharing sites?

How does this seem? https://www.deadsimplescreensharing.com/

I think I’ve used screenleap before, but they have a (new?) 40 minute per day limit for the free tier: https://www.screenleap.com/