Discoloration on contact pads of an I7 6700K

I recently acquired this 6700K that has some faint discoloration on some of the contact pads on the bottom of the CPU. Not entirely sure if this may be indicative of damage to processor. I don’t have any means to test it, and I’m not going to shop for a used motherboard if chances are high that the CPU is no good. I didn’t pay for it, so I’m not at a loss here if it is indeed damaged. Pics attached below. Thanks everyone!

That looks very similar to the discoloration on my i5 2500k. I too wondered if it meant there was a defect but the CPU has been working great and still does! It’s not my main machine but I use it for other tasks and it’s fully functional from what I can see. Had that thing for almost 11 years.

Are you going to be using it? I think it should be good in my experience.

This is how it looks today.

I’m glad I had the foresight to take pictures of it the day I first put it in my system as well, you can see there are no blemishes or stains. From what I can tell the performance has been very consistent. In fact I’ve had it overclocked to 4.2 Ghz this whole time!

Did you run isopropyl, with a swab, over the contact pads?

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.