Disabling SMB

This could be out of fear mongering about updates installing monitoring stuff. People kill updates on internet facing machines because they don't want the updates to install the junk on them either not knowing or not considering the fact the system could be co mrpmoised.

1 Like

Well as stated the update doesn't install so blowing away the smb is what I'm going to do.

But back to the topic at hand. I supposedly disabled them in power shell , is there a way to check if it worked and smb isn't functioning?

That's my worry and what I'm trying to point out here. That conspiracy if the case here has left these systems vulnerable for no reason. And that there other people's computers is down right irresponsible, even if that's not the intention, that's the outcome. And no matter what you (figuratively) have to take responsibility of the fact that you left people using these computers vulnerable because of the false notion that you think you know better.

And it is a false notion, because this topic was made now and not months ago when the vulnerability was published.

If this has been coming across negatively it's because it is. To many people on the forums have been doing this and putting them and others data at risk because they think they can do it better, but then don't put in the required constant and time consuming effort to keep these systems protected when they are not being patched.

4 Likes

Already said you can test if the machines are still vulnerable by running the ms17-010 module for nmap.

Keep in mind your not protected from the ransomeware. And not protected from any of the other unpatched exploits.

is there a link to this program

You're absolutely right. I typically l roll my eyes at people saying things of this nature but it's time we start speaking up against it .

That said it's a culture that thrives on these forums. Some of it has moved people to linux I'm sure, which is fine, but not patching systems isn't the right approach.

2 Likes

http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2017/q2/79

how do you use or run it

does anyone know how to use this?

Check this page:

1 Like

This is probably a good walkthrough. Just spin up a live distro and on you go.

Yeah, that's not a problem unique to here, or should I say to computer technology. Similar to how fantasy football is just D&D for the people who used to beat up people who played D&D, this community is fundamentally not that different from a car or boat club.

People coming together with a common interest, and a capacity for action breeds a certain DIY attitude. This isn't bad in and of itself, but then gaining knowledge and experience leads to self confidence...which again, is not necessarily a bad thing. However, as success starts building up, it can easily lead to over self confidence.

That is ultimately to say, when you know something, and know it well, it can be easy to forget what you DON'T know.

1 Like

Which is why I always tell myself I know almost nothing about tech. Kinda the old adage, the more you learn the less you know kinda thing. I'm a damned good sysadmin/sec analyst but I don't know more than I know.

1 Like