Disable Windows 10 Updates

Hi Guys

Just did a clean install of Windows 10 1511 after it force installed updates i didn’t want.

Does anyone know how to disable and remove Windows Update Assistant for good as well as stop the stupid messages coming up.
If your going to tell me to update don’t, i don’t want the updates thats why I’m trying to stop them from happening.

Any help would be great thanks.

You will need a lamb, fire pit (about the size of a lamb) and 3 virgins (gender/race optional)

Or maybe this could help

2 Likes

What’s your goal? Why are you trying to stop updates? What version of Windows 10 are you running?

Your probably not running the correct version (depending on what your actually washing to do). Fact is you absolutely should be installing updates, but without more info it’s not clear what advice to give you. ( You could install cumulative updates manually for example for your specific build)

3 Likes

He said he’s on build 1511. According to this:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/itpro/windows-10/release-information

That build is from 2015. OP has 3 years worth of updates to install He’s on an older branch, he should switch to 1709. My guess is he’s either having difficulties with the old image he’s using, or he purposely went out of his way to find an old build to install for some reason.

Edit: I am unsure how the windows branches work, but the build originated from 2015, latest major update was the 13 of March.

Yup…EOL had been declared on the earlier builts.

Yeah take the time to read the decrapify windows guide. Or at least just the updates section. An old version of Windows 10 will contribute to giving you the shitty experience you don’t want, more than a decrapified more current version of win 10.

Generally yes, you don’t need the Updates. You need the Security Updates!

1 Like

Good point, it’s the Features and “Exciting” New Apps you don’t want added.
Nor the privacy settings reverted

Driver fixes, bug fixes and security fixes are a good thing

1 Like

I don’t think I’ve ever had this happen…

Really, it needs a lot more info from op on exactly what they are trying to achieve and why. It’s all well and good pointing to a thread, until that thread screws up their OS even more than it already is.

2 Likes

I have, but only when running either the insider build or having an unlicensed install.

I have more issues with windows updates :stuck_out_tongue:

than i do with any tinkering. Still… caution should be used and take to time to learn about what it is you are removing.

1 Like

I think nobody here should encourage anyone to turn off windows updates.

The best way to turn off windows updates is to stop using Windows. The second best way to turn off windows updates is to prevent windows from being able to access the network.

If you’re on mainstream hardware, I’d recommend switching to Linux (which you should still update!) before I’d recommend turning off windows update.

1 Like

Ya… nothing like having a gun to your head knowing that windows updates has malware in it but you have to have the security updates. Piece of shit move.

Personally, the main objection I have is the updates are essentially broken. Why does everything require a restart to apply? If it does require a restart, why not let the user decide when to restart?

1 Like

Early builds of windows 10 didn’t have a great system for updating, especially updates requiring a restart. The newer builds have a number of better options to handle this.

I think the defaults could still be tweaked but you shouldn’t have issues with them with a little tweaking of the scheduling.

They do need to fix their restart requirements and how they install them but I think that’s due to the way it was built long ago and why it hasn’t changed yet. It is changing though. Recent windows builds have moved more of the update process pre-restsart. It wouldn’t surprise me if they keep trying to do this.

@thevillageidiot your posts are in no way productive and just trying to stir trouble. Take it somewhere else.

3 Likes

What makes me suspicious that they have yet to learn from their mistakes is microsoft edge. Updating Microsoft edge requires a system update just like internet explorer on older version of windows or safari on Mac OS and iOS. I wouldn’t be surprised to hear legal bring involved in these design decisions. Google has seen the light and decouples android webview from the OS and delivers these updates through the play store.

There is speculation about Microsoft deprioritizing Windows based on their recent reorg. I’m not holding my breath things can get much better any time soon.

Right Click Start Button > Programs and Features > Uninstall

When it’s removed you’ll stop receiving notifications. To remove notifications all together:

Start > Settings > System > Notifications & actions > Disable

Fair enough. Be prepared to deal with an unstable, broken install, though. It will not be fun and it will not be easy to manage. Windows has fixed a lot of the issues you’re probably experiencing, but while sticking to 1511 you’re subjecting yourself to more misery. Hardly Microsoft’s fault.

3 Likes

wushowhide.diagcab

http://download.microsoft.com/download/f/2/2/f22d5fdb-59cd-4275-8c95-1be17bf70b21/wushowhide.diagcab

The Windows Update Show Hide tool allows you to show all available updates in a checkbox list. Any update you don’t want can be flagged to be blocked from future updates while you continue to be notified of security updates that you probably want to keep getting. I was given the link by Microsoft Tech Support after the first Creators Edition update made my PC suffer total meltdown.

Run the troubleshooter, click Advanced and uncheck Apply Repairs Automatically, then Next.
Windows Update will run to search for updates.
Then click Hide Updates and check the ones you don’t want.

1 Like

are you collecting Viruses as a hobby???

1 Like

For malware analysts, definitely is, although it’s probably just part of the job at that point.

There several ways to achieve what the op has asked. The path of least resistance is to use a third party such as this.

https://winaero.com/download.php?view.1796

There are several ways to approach this but keep in mind that you have committed yourself to a great deal of extra work and are running a great risk the longer you run this way. You are still gonna need to start with the latest windows version.