Disable GPU on Windows Installation process

I need to install Windows on a notebook that have switchable graphics with an intel and amd gpus.

The problem is that the amd gpu is dead, if I load the gpu driver the screen go black and the system crashes. If I uninstall the driver and keep using only the intel gpu it works flawless and that is the only way I can use it, the bios doesn’t allow the amd gpu to be fully disable, so it is all on the OS.

The issue happens when I try to do a fresh installation: when I boot from the usb drive, the windows installer thing also loads the driver for the amd gpu and crashes the system.

Then I tried to remove the driver from the ISO using DISM, but it only allows 3rd party drivers to be removed. Now I’m looking manually through the mounted image to find the generic amd display driver, but I have no idea where it is located or its name.

Same problem as:

https://www.win-raid.com/t4199f16-HP-Pavilion-dv-c-ed-disable-remove-AMD-gpu-insyde-bios.html

If you know the hardware ID of the the AMD GPU I suppose you could mount boot.wim and manually delete the driver inf from the image, but that’s messy (and installer might puke). I think your easiest workaround will be to pull the hard drive and install Windows to it from another PC. Let it do first boot without internet and then either blacklist the hardware ID in the registry or disable the adapter in device manager. When you move the drive back to your bad laptop you should still be able to get into safe mode if for some reason the driver automatically re-installs. Hope that helps.

Edit: The more I think about it, I doubt there is a specific driver you can delete from the boot.wim. That would be nuts for MS to load proprietary drivers for for every GPU on the market into the WinPE environment. Likely a generic driver used with a large set of adapters (?).

And of course you can’t disable the dedicated/discrete GPU in the CMOS settings ?

I was going to ask the same thing. Most systems with IGPU and Discrete will all low you to disable the onboard or the discrete. At the vary least, it should provide you the option to set one as primary. That will be the one the MS Windows installation sees.