Difficulty installing any linux on Dell XPS 8700

Service Tag: CHSHJ02

Currently visiting friends and decided to try out installing linux on one of their PC’s. They wanted me to try and get it running, so I decided while I’m visiting I’d give it a shot since doing it over discord in another state wasn’t working.

Well, it did it again.

Gave me an install error wanting to get a /boot/efi partition but when I set a vfat 32 partition all if gives me is a bios boot option, no EFI option. Now, I’d flip it over to standard bios mode, but that would mean I’d have to redo their windows install as well and I’d rather not have to do that or be responsible.

Currently attempting Pop_OS but am willing to try any OS. I’m thinking this isn’t a UEFI machine and just a basic EFI machine, but I’m honestly not all that sure.

Anyone had experience with this thing before?

Thanks

Just thought to check if the system had anything like windows 8 default boot settings or anything and I can’t see anything, but also as well its in bios mode already. So its not even in a UEFI state at all, just regular bios. Why does it want /boot/efi its in a standard bios mode?

Is there something I should do in system?

Going to try ubuntu next, then mint after if that doesn’t work. Wonder if this is a weird machine on the support list.

I have Ubuntu 18.04 installed on a Dell XPS 8700.

If I remember correctly I had to set up a special option when putting the image on the USB stick for the bios type (I used rufus to make the stick), I think it might have been something like dual UEFI and standard BIOS.

I think the BIOS was also set in some sort of safe mode that would not let me do anything until I turned it off as well.

It was a couple years ago, wish I could remember exactly what I did, but hopefully it gives you some ideas.

1 Like

Yeah secure boot is off.

…interesting. I will investigate this in the morning after I sleep.

I remember that option being in rufus but never knew what it was actually for. That helps a lot actually thank you sir.

UEFI CSM? That works on some early HP’s with their “experimental” (botched) UEFI implementation :smiley:

Will windows boot ok still?

There’s a grub flag to do bios boot.

I forget what it is though. :grimacing:

If you’re trying to dual-boot, you will probably need UEFI though, if it’s Windows 10.

Sorry I’m not of more help, I just can’t remember what the flag is.

But yeah, this is likely a borked UEFI from Dell. I would check if there’s a firmware update for the laptop?

I don’t think secure boot is what he meant. Some BIOS have an option to write-protect the partition and boot tables on disk, which is what I think he meant.

2 Likes

Desktop, but ok.