Different DRAM part number then the one on the box

Hi,

I’ve been investigating a weird issue these days DRAM that is reported with a different part number with dmidecode then the one that is shown on the ram modules and I haven’t really understood what is happening. Some more details.

I’ve bought ASRock DeskMini A300 and 16GB HyperX (Part Number HX432S20IB2K2/16) from mindfactory in Germany. After assembling the device I accidentaly checked part number with dmidecode (while looking at clock speeds) and got Part Number: KHX3200C20S4/8G.

I’ve thought it’s one of the two options, engineering mistake or fake ram, so I contacted mindfactory asking them is this a problem and they just sent me the return form. Some days later they say that they will refund the purchase and I buy same DRAM modules but from amazon. And guess what? I got the same part number in dmidecode as before, KHX3200C20S4/8G.

Iit seems to me that ASRock is not properly labeling this but I’m not sure if this is possible. Perhaps someone has more insight into this? I suppose Wendel would know :wink:

Thx,
Aleks

Don’t have an A300, companies have revisions on memory without changing the part number and could be possible ASRock hadn’t updated their list. I would add their DeskMini series is very memory picky if the BIOS decides it won’t boot until you have a “stick or set” which works with it… had to pull memory from my notebook due to this.

Indeed, compatibility can be a problem and since I was worried about it I choose the memory that is officially supported by ASRock.