Did Win10 mess up my computer?

First of all, exuse my terrible english (not my native language).

I never thought windows 10 could be this bad.

Basically my computer started acting up instantly after I updated from Win 8.1, at the time it was only small bugs and some stuff would crash randomly, I learned to live with it. Now my computer is almost unusable. Let me explain the problems im having:

1. Explorer crashes constantly
  2. My network card rarely works
  3. Almost every game crashes and makes the computer go to a black screen (requiring me to reboot)
  4. Sound output is sometimes broken
  5. Going to internet settings tab makes everything freeze
  6. Sometimes one of my HDD doesn't show up
  7. Coputer sometimes fails to recognize USB devices

And the list continues.

I have now reinstalled Windows two times with no sucess. At first i thought the problems originated from me updating my GPU drivers (that was around the time games started creashing), but going back to the old drivers the problems still existed. My motherboard bios is up to date. Could it be the mobo thats the problem? I'm using avast and have scanned my PC for viruses, nothing there either...

I'm not sure what to do anymore. All help is welcome, if you have any experience.

Thanks for any help!

Have you tried loading linux on it to see if it's not hardware related? idk exactly how to do this but you can make a bootable usb drive with linux on it and boot from that in bios/uefi

1 Like

Well, if you're experienced with computers using something like Ubuntu to test your system shouldn't be too hard ;-)

Yeah, I shuld try that.

Thats what I did on my laptop... I installed linux Ubuntu.

He doesn't even need to install it, a bootable USB stick should suffice.

Start with memtest86 and then perhaps do a complete surface test of your hard drive for bad sectors.

are you doing clean installs of windows or just installing over existing installs?

you would need to list your hardware components to come up other suggestions.

1 Like

yeah he could do that

Since he mentioned having installed windows several times, I just assumed he did a clean install. But you're right, if he didn't do a clean install he should definitely do that first.

I had the same problem when I upgraded from Windows 7. There are two types of upgrades. One keeps all of your files and programs and the other erases everything and does a clean install. I tried the first way at first and was a disaster. I'm curious as to which upgrade you chose.

You're having so many issues because if you try to write a new system over the old ones you might run into those issues that you described. I had the same issues upgrading W8 to 8.1. If you want to install W10 just create a bootable flash drive with the Windows Media Creation Tool, wipe the disk down and start from fresh. I did it and I've never had any particular issues with W10.

I don't know why people do this.
Throughout history, doing an update of Windows from one version to another has never worked. It's always been full of problems.

I did a clean install but i choosed to save all files on the computer.

Can I use the win 8.1 activation code for win 10 bootable media?

I kept all the files.

That's not a clean install

1 Like

If you haven't already and are able, make sure to check sum your installation files. I would also replace any drivers you can from your hardware vendors over the microsoft ones after installation. When upgrading from 7 to 10, 10 reinstalled a lot of the old programs I had that were not ready for Win 10, so if you see any program you have not used for a while either remove it or reinstall with the most up to date version.

Always try the easiest thing first. It may just work. Back up your files on an external drive. When go to reset your PC click "remove files and clean the drive" and confirm.This should work. If not, come back and we'll try to sort it out.

However, there is something you need to think about. Once you do this true clean install, you will not be able to revert back to Windows 8 unless you make a bootable drive beforehand

Now that you machine is registered as a 10 license you may want to backup your files and dband and reinstall 10.

Do that after checking with Linux and memtest. Also a hardrive sweap wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Look, you can screw around all you want trying to put Humpty Dumpty back together again. But I say just backup you data, and do a clean install. Wipe the drives with a Linux boot CD/DVD/USB and at least wipe the first few MB of the drive:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=1M count=100

That'll zero out the first 100MB of the drive, and you can then cleanly install Windows to it. Unplug all other drives (except opticals) during Windows install.
removed
Here is a non-offending link from Microsoft's 'blessed' site:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

You might want to upgrade your BIOS to the latest version before you clear it all off and reinstall... if your system is working well enough to do that.