Did my Motherboard Just Die x370 taichi

Well I stepped outside to go do some things, and turned off the computer as I usually do. When I returned with the m.2 that I unexpectedly bought...I figured I would do a quick start up on the computer. LED lights flashed bright then faded to off. I figured it was a power supply but nope I replaced the 850 watt EVGA with the brand new evga gold series 750 PSU. I get the same thing. Anyone else having this issue.

Oh ya specs... ASROCK X370 TAI CHI motherboard with ryzen 7 1700.

If you push the power button nothing happens at all?
No cpu fan spin up nothing?

correct I get led lights on the motherboard for maybe all of 10 seconds before they fade.

Hmm thats kinda weird.
Try to disconnect the psu from the wall, and then take the bios battery out for a couple of seconds.
then put the battery back on the board, connect the psu again and see if it works again then.
Dont forget to set all the bios settings like date and time again if it works.

Bad 24 pin maybe? Do you have another you can try?

No i got 2 powersupplies one 850 watt which is older and a brand new 750 watt gold series evga power supply. I do not think it is the power supplies... I am getting the same thing from both... but I can test them in another old computer... I will when I get home.

@MisteryAngel I will try that when I get home... I did unplug the PSU from the power bar but I never did take out the battery... if that battery goes dead will it cause issues?

It will basiclly reset the motherboard bios.

I will try it in 5 hours when I get home.

if the LEDs are fading as opposed to them shutting off instantly that indicates to me a short which isn't tripping a safety cutoff immediately, or at all, when it obviously should be. That combined with the fact that you've tried another PSU it's pretty safe to say it's the board. Try resetting everything try one stick of memory at a time. Another processor if you have access to one. Make sure there's no obvious signs of shorts. After you've exhausted all that id RMA the board.

Sometimes it's stupid things though, could be a dead drive that's making the motherboard freak out. Just try as many things as possible I've seen weird shit happen diagnosing PCs.

2 Likes

Did you install the M2 drive, or did this happen without you changing anything?

EVGA power cables have capacitors built into them, so the slow fading could be the power draining from them perhaps..

O.K. it appears the reset after battery removal was a success.. although I really do not understand why... or what happened. I unplugged the PSU, removed the battery and then unplugged all the ssd's, and power plugs, took out the video card etc, then let it sit, for about 10 minutes. Tested a boot without a videocard or drives, it booted, so I shut off and then reconnected everything. I proceeded to install the m.2 and plug in an optical drive, to see if I can get win 7 on the 960 evo...But that is for another post.

thanks for all the help... If someone can explain why this worked to me,,, I would appreciate it.

@Mora Yah I did install the m.2 drive... then of course took it out.

EDIT:
Just something I noticed, my slackware ssd isnt booting slackware... the hardware is fine but it seems the slackware install is now corrupt... so something did happen. Would too much BCLK corrupt files on an ssd ?

1 Like

I wouldn't think base clock would cause data corruption. I would run memtest86 on your RAM though, one stick at a time. You may have a module on its way out.

EDIT: spelling

Well could basiclly be manny things that have caused the bios to go bonkers.
These kind of things often happen wenn an overclock on memory or cpu,
isnt fully stable or such kind of things.

If you did not allready have updated the bios to the latest version.
Then it might be a good idea to do that.

Also yeah if you installed Slackware in UEFI mode,
it could be that you might have to re-install that.
Or poke arround in the drive settings tab in the bios.
Or fix the boot table from a live media, or what not.
i suppose that certain Linux guru´s on here can give you some tips on that.

yeah I am on the latest bios 2.4 if memory serves... reinstalling slackware won't be too much of an issue for me... since root is on its own drive and home is on its own as well...take less time to reinstall slackware then it will windows.

So Just an update... it appears everything seems to be working just fine... with one exception... no LED's on the mother board are lighting up. I wonder if this will be a cause of a problem later on.

Not sure but you could eventually write Asrock support and tell them about that issue.
Could be that they might ask you to rma the board still.
Or maybe you could try to do a bios reflash first.

It sounds like you had a very touchy motherboard protection circuit.

If it continues to happen I would get it replaced.

Like any component, it is only as good as the weakest link and with protection circuit failure it is extremely problematic as it's tough to diagnose and many of the circuits have resettable fuses which over time with power drain will regain functionality..

But if it happens again or regularly just get it replaced as it won't go away.

1 Like

Well I downloaded ASRGBLED and no sooner did I install the software and LED's on the board all lit up again. Things seem to be running smooth. I did contact ASRock and they responded for me to RMA the board. I did reply, though now the weekend, about the reset... If they suggest to RMA it anyway I sure well.