Did my GPU just die?

I’m still using a GTX 770. I was playing Rocket League and just as the match ended (I think?), I got a BSOD (or… technically a GSOD for being a W10 Insider, though I’m still on 1903) with it mentioning nvlddmkm.sys

Restarts are showing staticy (white) zeros on and around the post screens. But after that I still get video with no strangeness besides lower resolution, which is like before you install the drivers and what it falls back to right? (I’m not completely sure.) But I get Code 43 in the Device Manager that still remains after driver installs, including after cleaning with DDU. It happens with Nvidia’s latest “approved” driver, as well as their newer hotfix, an older one that W10 installed, and also tried through GFE for just the hell of it. All the same results and still Code 43.

The fan is still spinning, btw.

Is it actually no good for gaming now, or is this just strange?

Oh yeah, Sandy Bridge too, which I know had some issues recently, but that hotfix has already happened?

I had the same issue with an nvidia 670. Same exact symptoms as you describe. Turns out it was the PCI port on the motherboard that had fried. I tried one too many times to boot it up, and the GPU eventually got issues too from running in the faulty PCI, which ended up dying completely. The other x16 PCI on the mobo is still okay though. Decided to scrap both the mobo and GPU though.

Does your motherboard have any other slots you can try your GPU in? Else do you have another GPU or a friend that will let you borrow a GPU to test?

1 Like

Bleh, stuff getting fried is the worst. Always paranoid something else in the system shared it’s fate. You start looking at caps… and then. Well if you had some spare gear around you might be able to do some impromptu bench testing but not everyone has the spare time/gear.

I tried another slot with the same exact results.

The thing that’s pissing me off about this right now, besides not being able to buy a new GPU, is that there seems to be a rash of 700 cards dying rapidly SINCE the Nvidia-Sandy Bridge “Code 43” Hotfix 2 months ago. These can’t be normal deaths. At least I can’t believe they are, yet.

1 Like