Did I just brick my NAS by installing a Highpoint RAID/HBA in my unraid system? Round 2 HBA boogaloo

Someone over on the Unraid server checked my diagnosis file and said that it didn’t seem to be an issue there.

The drives are connected to a backplane included with the chassis.

And the drives did work just fine previously on the Previous Highpoint HBA and over MOBO sata before that.

and unless I am mistaken formatting shouldn’t be an issue for unraid, and from it’s behavior previously it was just working as an HBA and not raid in any way.

But I’ll try swapping back the other HBA in the morning and see if that one still works and then maybe go from there.

And for the different size bit sectors I can’t say I know much, but the drives I have are Seagate Iron Wolf 4TB NAS drives(ST4000VN008)

What the LSI Bios says.

1 Like

I’m presuming that you actually went into the OS and confirmed no drives showing there?

I only ever used IT mode so I didn’t have to use the LSI menu, and to pass the drives straight through, and thought they shouldn’t show in the LSI bios, because IT mode disables the raid/jbod functions?

In that case, then yeah, could be the card is bad, and good idea to double check the mobo / rocketraid cards?

If you wanted to use the hardware raid, then I think you need to flash it back to IR mode.

But, I am not sure if you want software raid (in unraid)

1 Like

Putting IT firmware on the controller makes it a “dumb” pass-through device basically eliminating #2 on the list above. Some of the custom firmware that big storage vendors use on drives are an attempt to harmonize #1 and #3 above.

1 Like

Yeah, I entered over lan into the web gui and the drives were listed as missing in unraid and the controller should be flashed with IT mode with the LSI bios is enabled. As was recommended by art of server for trouble shooting reasons.

1 Like

after a nights rest and doing some chores outside, I found the fix relatively easily by just reseating the cables.

Was stressing out quite a bit at the time so I overlooked such a common and easy to check point of failure, but sleeping on it and leaving the problem alone for a bit before giving it a fresh look helped this time. Thanks a lot for the help so far.

this hopefully is the end of the saga of the HBA boogaloo, but who knows :wink:

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.