Dial up in 2021

Hello world.

I usually have some serious thonks about things.

This came by: So I was wondering if this would have any today use in secure information systems. Like just to confuse the heck out of malicious actors and it might be useful for key transfers? I have not properly studied the tech as it is a little before my time.

2 Likes

Also props to tech guys like him preserving and getting things up.

[edit:]

Is there a particular attack vector between the ISP and the house, that Dial up could obfuscate / avoid / solve?

the dial up is just a connection over plain telephone system to the ISP. From there, it’d be just as vulnerable as any other traffic?

I’m not aware of any particular issue a dial up connection, without the basic firewalls. has to differentiate it from a traditional ISP supplied router+wifi+modem box?
Apart from maybe a less secure initial connection, more prone to a man-in-the middle attack?

Unless you used Dial-Up to connect to an ISP abroad, as an alternative style VPN?

1 Like

During the early days of revolution in the middle east, with the regular internet down, dial up was the only way they still had to access the internet.

3 Likes

I guess if a malicious actor can wiretap your phone line could they also listen in to the analog portions of your data transmission? Have the old modem protocols been hardened to modern standards?

2 Likes

No encryption on modems. You can run a VPN or HTTPS.

4 Likes