Diagonal Usage of Laptop with Liquid Metal

Im about to repaste my sager, but I use my laptop diagonally for better airflow.

Will this be an issue and could it cause a leak when it’s being used, even with Nail Hardener Coating and Scotch 33 protection?

I use my thinkpad on adjustable cooling pad and I have had no problem

1 Like

liquid metal, whilst less viscous than traditional thermal paste, is still far too ‘sticky’ to run in a traditional scenario. Think of all the people using CPU’s on thier sides in normal PC’s.

You should be fine.

2 Likes

I used it on my X1 Yoga for a bit. Took the temperature straight down. You’d be surprised at how much of a difference the TIM makes when you’re lacking in thermal mass.

The X1 thinkpads have a plastic cover that’s taped over the motherboard and it’s sealed around the CPU so that only the die is exposed, so in a way they were almost made for liquid metal.

I would be careful of the possibility of corrosion if the copper base doesn’t have some kind of coating or plating. It won’t destroy the heatsink like it will aluminium, but it’s still something to keep in mind. Next time I do a permanent liquid metal job on a laptop I may try nickel plating the heatsink.

1 Like