Diagnose video card not posting new Ryzen 3700x

Greetings!

This is a bit of a pain. So I’m going from my 9 year old i7 running a GTX 460, to my new 3700x (Asus Prime x470 (32 gb ram, M.2 NVMe)

Unfortunately I only have the 1 video card. So I have to swop it into the Ryzen. It was posting and working via the DVI to HDMI cable. I could get into bios. But i’ve had to swop back to the i7 to get my USB setup for the OS. So back and forth a couple times.

I noticed I was not getting even the video card post screen. Power connected, I checked the PCI seating. To be honest I thought it was the first time I had a SATA SSD, the USB thumb drive and wireless keyboard/mouse attached. Some conflict?

So I removed everything but the 460, still no post. The PSU is on because I see all the RGB.

So, back in the i7. I think I did not see a post at first? not sure now, but It is working fine now on the i7.

Before I go back to the Ryzen. What things may stop a video card from at least the post screen? Pretty sure all cables are tight. PCI on properly. Could my PSU be powering all the fans and RGB but failing on the 2 PCI power cables?

It is an old GPU but I haven’t had any issues before.

Thabks

Max

Becoming defect :frowning:

Devices can become defect all of a sudden. Even more so, if you move them from PC to PC (that being said, usually the Mainboard becomes defect)

But then again, you said this thimg works in your old PC?

Are you inserting the GPU into the same PCIe slot each time or did you swap it around by chance? Not likely if you have all the other expansion slots covered. I had a problem with CSM/Legacy Bios mode on a X570 Mb when using the 2nd 16x slot, but that’s probably unrelated if you’ve been using the same PCIe slot the entire time.

To explain more clearly, I wouldn’t post with a GPU in my second 16x PCIe slot (backed by the chipset) with CSM or Legacy UEFI mode turned on in the bios. If I turned on full UEFI mode it was fine. Which is a bit annoying if you have to reset the bios for some reason.

I’d bet on bios issues, some people including me tried 450 and 460 for pci-e passthrough and cuz it has some old bios it wouldnt work / initialize. My 450 would initialize only after it booted linux from USB, but not on VM power up and windows was just infinite boot loop, so could be that.

… technically he could try disconnect all SSD/HDDs and plug in flashdrive with Ubuntu, if it boots to that and gets it running

ps: other than VM issues, no problem running Nvidia 450 with first gen. 1700X on X370 GB Gaming K5

Oddly, in my mind it was the 1TB Corsair SSD (SATA) be cause it happened after i plugged that in, but part of my thinks it is the PSU. But the fans and light went on, but no GPU post.

I may swop out my old PSU into the Ryzen and see if maybe the PCI power cables aren’t working right. This is a tiny GPU not some energy hungry 2080ti.

It’s just very time consuming swopping stuff. i was up to 4AM last night, getting my USB OS thumb drives working only to find out it errored on a file during installation.

I was mainly asking because I’ve experienced when there are multiple elements that can be malfunctioning, you may be pointed in the wrong direction.

Once i thought my GPU was failing, my screen had these gradient test patterns. It ended up being the Main board on the monitor.

I am to get the Ryzen up and running today:-) I did Cinebench on my old PC and got a rating of 480. I’m betting I get 10 times that score on the 3700x!

I have 3 PCI slots on the Prime x470. I’m using the middle one to allow more air flow. Is one slot better for the low end GPU?

Just following up. Its working fine now. On the Ryzen, now back on Intel. Having some OS install issues but the hardware is working for now. Thanks to all!