DHCP / NAS Question

So basically I want my Mac Pro (10.11.6) to host a partition for a NAS of sorts for my other machines connected over a private lan by a switch. Problem is that I don’t know how to make OSX host an IP range and assign other machines IP’s. There doesn’t seem to be anything obvious in the OSX settings so I assume that I have to do terminal commands. Though, when I google for such things I get the usual apple user that doesn’t know what an ethernet cable is and the whole thing isn’t very helpful.

TLDR how do I host DHCP on one ethernet port for a private lan in OSX. Theres nothing in the settings so I assume theres terminal commands to do such a thing but google isn’t very helpful.

I’m not an OSX expert, but I don’t think that there is a built-in DHCP server, just the client. You can find software that will run a DHCP server on your computer if you want to do that. From the software you can assign the port to use and your settings. As for what software to use, I have no clue. But that is where I would start my search.

Thats annoying since windows and linux both have servers built in lol

Yes, it is annoying. But I could also be wrong and it is buried somewhere. Just knowing Apple, they would only offer that built into their server product.

1 Like

there’s a dhcp server built in, bootpd

but you can just as easily use homebrew to build yourself and run dnsmasq