Devember Time!

I refuse.

That’s pretty neat, thanks for sharing.

Well its 2:24 AM local time here, time to get crackin’ for the Day 2 challenge.

What’s wrong with C?

Too mainstream?

If I do an assembly built specifically for the processor I want to work with anyways I get the advantage of that processor and the stupid amound of speed from assembly itself.

1 Like

Bah, I’ll do it too! Though mine is maybe less technical and more “just try to get stuff done”.

4 Likes

Todays post is up :slight_smile:

2 Likes

should probably makes a blog updates in the comment to avoid 30 new blog posts per person

1 Like

Ahh gotcha. I’ll do that for day 3 and onward.

2 Likes

Hi,

I’ve been a bit of a lurker here but I think I might give this a go.

I took a course in Python a few years back but haven’t really had the opportunity to use the language very much since so I’ve forgotten quite a bit of it.

The final project for the course was a space shooter game (an Asteroids type game) that was developed using an online Pyhton development tool called CodeSkulptor which is pretty nice for prototyping ideas but I’ve been playing with the idea of porting or re-writing the game as a stand-alone application using the PyGame library.

So, if it’s within the rules to base your Devember project on something already designed (It’ll most likely end up a complete re-write anyway) I might give that a go.

My original attempt can be seen here

Cheers,

Shecks

2 Likes

Sure, seems find to me. Give it a go!

You’re a bit behind though, so there’s 3 days worth plus today’s. Get crackin’ :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ok, I’ve made a bit of a start. I created a blog thread here, I hope it’s in the correct place.

Day 3 done, working on day 4 now…
I got pissed off at unreal engine 4; its C++ libraries are a mess with piss poor documentation. Didn’t feel like bashing my head against it, so for day 3 I went and worked on another aspect of my project with no unreal dependencies.

So today I’m working on setting up a git repo, and going to go back to figuring out wtf unreal is trying to do.

If anyone has ever used it, in C++… Why the fuck are there five different functions to do the same thing, and none of them work as represented? ARGH
Imma just write my own png loader and store the resulting data in a sqlite database, fuck unreal’s image library with a rake. I just want direct access to the pixel array, is that so hard? ;.;

2 Likes

I play with unreal edit 4 a bit. what version are you at ? I think the latest is 4.17. It is a real shame cause you are right there is little to no real support for linux in ue4. I have discovered a few things along the way. mostly the library and purchased products. The only way I found to get the libraries for such products, is copy pasted from my win10 drive. I havent built a c++ project with unreal yet, since I am a slow coder at best LOL. I have however played with blueprints and it seems to be rather similar to iOS and the blueprint style it uses.

ROFLMAO

There is this though. https://wiki.unrealengine.com/Linux_Known_Issues

But Y?

blueprints and C++ unreal are very very different beasts… they can meet in the middle on occasion, but…
I’m running 4.17, and using it on windows. Linux i’ll eventually use as well to make sure the game works alright there (once it is actually a game!)
The problem is Unreal’s image loader.
For landscapes, there is a specific class ILandscapeHeightmapFileFormat, built into the editor to handle 16bit png grayscale. It works well. Sadly unreal doesn’t let you ship any editor code with your project, so this class is not available at runtime. The alternate png loaders only support 8bit pngs it seems, with many different compressions… but all of them 8bit per color channel.

This means I’m going to have to use libpng as a third party library >.<

Spent way too much of my life on them, wasting my time. :stuck_out_tongue: Also ran a few that never went anywhere. I much prefer wiki, email, and source repos, and instant communication.

Can I count it if I only put 30 hours in in the last week? Finals are upon us college folks :confused:

Might add my summer project. Don’t know if I want to open source it. Still very early days. But it has something to do with home/business automation.