Return to Level1Techs.com

Devember - Learning JavaScript

devember2k18

That’s the nub of it. You have to use the stuff otherwise it doesn’t really sink in and in a month or two it will be all gone!

Any chance you can start working on a project on the side to help reinforce what you are learning?

At the pace I’m currently on I’ll be finished with this course very soon. I’ll likely use the rest of December to do some kind of project to put my knowledge to use.

Day 18

I’m stopping this course now. I know I’m near the end but this asynchronous stuff is over my head. I’ve not had time to practice previous work and it’s not sinking in enough for me to move on at this pace. I’m not really sure what to do at this point; I’m thinking put my Devember on hold until the weekend, let my brain cool off and then spend a few hours starting a project on a day I don’t have work.

I did enjoy this course but I really think it is designed to be used with their “pro” lessons. They offered the pro lessons along with the first activities as a taster and they were definitely needed in my opinion, but I don’t think the cost is justified.

Sorry to everyone who has been following so far and if you have any comments/opinions/suggestions please feel free to chime in!

I don’t know your background, but maybe the course has been designed for people who are familiar with programming concepts already?

I think it is a good move to go back and start working on the stuff you have already covered. I have done courses before and learned nothing for the same reasons, no practice.

I guess async stuff is very important for javascript, since it is typically used to make a webpage that will talk to a backend server or something? You’ll get there in time!

It seems pretty new person friendly, it’s just without the practice work they offer iwth the “pro” subscription it’s really hard to absorb the lessons at the pace they teach.

I understand the principle at work now which is nice, I mostly just need to get the syntax for things burned into memory. It’s like when I studied physics; I understood the concepts before my degree, but during it I learnt the maths.

I am going to try this today. It looks like it might be a bit more well paced for my learning needs.

Day 22

I’m playing catch-up on freecodecamp; starting over from the beginning but powering through it fast as I know the basics pretty well. Time will tell how I get on with this course over the other one but it’s looking good so far! The exercises I’ve been doing have been pretty simple and the same kind of stuff I’ve already covered before so I won’t be sharing examples here until I cover new material.

Day 23

I’ve been doing more exercises on things I’ve already covered, but I feel like I am understanding the syntax better and getting a stronger foundation for moving forward.

freecodecamp seems a lot more comprehensive than codecademy although the interface can be a bit sluggish and unresponsive. It’s a trade-off I am happy to make though.

Day 24

More of the same catching up. Solidifying the information in my mind.

Day 25

freecodecamp is going over stuff that codecademy seems to have missed out, such as order of operations in if - else if - else scenarios. They had me making some code to return the golf term for strokes over and under par. Then moved onto making some code using switch statements to match answers to their multiple choice letter assignment. It’s easy stuff but good exercises for getting me used to using the syntax.

Day 26

Changed some if else statements into switch statements. Did some other small exercises and finally ended up writing a card counting function:

var count = 0;

function cc(card) {
  // Only change code below this line
  switch (card){
  case 2:
  case 3:
  case 4:
  case 5:
  case 6:
  count ++; 
  break;

case 10:
  case 'J':
  case 'Q':
  case 'K':
  case 'A':
  count --;
  break;
  }

if (count > 0){
    return count + " Bet";
  } else {
    return count + " Hold";
  }

// Only change code above this line
}

// Add/remove calls to test your function.
// Note: Only the last will display
cc(2); cc(3); cc(7); cc('K'); cc('A');

Day 27

Nothing exciting to report really, just been playing around with objects again and refamiliarising myself with how they can be used to interact with functions.

Day 28

I’m playing with loops again and having a bit of a challenging time. I understand the concept, it’s just juggling the syntax with the tasks I am asked to do that is the challenge. I’m not sure I am absorbing the information as fast as it is being delivered again and I’m worried it just won’t sink in. I think perhaps I should just go back and redo exercises after December and keep at it until it’s sunk in. I would like some of the trickier concepts to have more exercises like they did with the simple stuff. It always frustrates me when lessons go on for too long covering the simple stuff but rush past difficult concepts.

Day 29

Break today. I need a day of rest from life’s responsibilities.

Day 30

Struggling with what the exercise expects from me. I finally passed it, but I feel like maybe I didn’t do what it really wanted? This is the problem with these kinds of courses, you can’t fully trust the automated feedback.

I am not entirely happy with the way this course is being presented any more either. I think codecademy was more polished, it’s a shame I can’t afford to pay for pro. I continue on regardless.

Day 31

Finished up the basic Javascript exercises. I’m not done with this challenge, even though it’s the end of the month. I feel like I haven’t completed what I set out to do and I don’t think I expected I would do in a mere month. It has been a good journey though and it has taught me a lot. More than how to Javascript it has taught me how to pace myself in learning and to not fear being stuck on something.

Devemeber may be over, but I will continue learning this new year.

Good stuff! I think if you can start a hobby project along side the lessons, it will help a bunch!

I would second this, If you have a project that holds your interests and motivates you it’s a great way to help you get to grips with a new programming language.

It will help what you’ve learned so far to become second nature to you and you will find yourself looking constructs you might not have learned yet because you need them to complete different aspects of your project. Or you find yourself seeking better ways to re-write parts of your project as you learn new language features and your skills improve.

Hey, I’m not sure if this forum is still active considering it’s no longer December. But I am in almost the exact same boat as you @FrogE. I’m currently in Chapter 8 of the Intro to JavaScript Course on CodeAcademy. I found this forum because I was trying to find more info on “generateRandomDelay()” which is used in the course but I can’t seem to find much info on it.
Similar to you I have not been paying for Pro, but I have still been finding the course to be pretty helpful (even if some of the info differs from what I read online elsewhere).

Does anyone here have any good ideas for starter projects to learn how to write in JavaScript? Once I get through the codeacademy course I want to start one.

Thanks!