Devember 2021 - Blackout Forecast and Tracker

Hey guys,

Brief description of my project:
In South Africa we experience frequent blackouts. There are numerous apps and services designed to predict and notify users of when this will occur according to government timetables etc. However, for various reasons, they are frequently inaccurate.

For this reason, I end up manually parsing press releases (ie reading them with my eyeballs lol) to get my own idea of what the schedule will be, for how long, etc.

So the idea is to make a scraper that will automate the process that I am following, using the same principles, with the hope that it will result in a more reliable way of determining when these blackouts will occur. The plan is to deliver the information as push notifications and/or tweets. I plan to use Twitter’s API and probably Python on a web server to scrape and parse the tweets, then make my own with relevant summaries.

I understand this does not have relevance to people in other countries, but it has huge relevance here and this is something I have been meaning to do for a few months now. Devember seemed like a great excuse/opportunity to go ahead and do it.

Sorry if this is a few hrs late, life is crazy at the moment and I was struggling to find info about the challenge. For the record, is there a post about Devember that I missed? I feel like that was mentioned several times on the channel but I couldn’t find anything. I am not sure if this is the right place to post it.

3 Likes