Devember 2019!

Its that time of year:

Devember is Back!

(And I cant believe that I am the first to post about this)

What is Devember?

In a word, Devember is a challenge . One that you impose upon yourself; to code for one hour each and every day in the month of December. You do this for the sake of the pursuit of knowledge.

The challenge is pretty open. You can decide for yourself what you wish to do: learn a new language, learn a new stack, develop an ambitious project, continue from a previous project, or just have a little fun.

The Rules

• Spend an hour a day on your project, every day in December,
  • Blog about your progress (preferably in a topic on L1), so that you can share with the community.
  • Tag your topic with devember2k19

Join In!

Post you project announcement in the following format in this thread and I’ll add you to the list!

I, *insert name*, will participate to the next Devember. My Devember will be *insert objective*. I promise I will program for my Devember for at least an hour, every day of the next December. I will also write a daily public devlog and will make the produced code publicly available on the internet. No matter what, I will keep my promise.`

*Describe your Devember here*

Participants

Best Luck to all participants. Have fun everyone!

Companion Discussion Thread

11 Likes

Init:

I, Dynamic_Gravity , will participate to the next Devember. My Devember will be Protodesk: A Ticketing System . I promise I will program for my Devember for at least an hour, every day of the next December. I will also write a daily public devlog and will make the produced code publicly available on the internet. No matter what, I will keep my promise.`

For my Devember project I shall be working on my own ticketing system. I have been working on and off on this project for a few months now and I would like to ramp up development to complete the project.

Project URL:

Dev log:

4 Likes

I, Pete, aka @psycho_666 , will participate to the next Devember. My Devember will be coding my strategy vidogame. I promise I will program for my Devember for at least an hour, every day of the next December. I will also write a daily (or not so daily) public devlog and will make the produced code publicly available on the internet. No matter what, I will keep my promise.

You can check out the already started DevLog HERE:

4 Likes

I, SEGFAULT ( @SIGSEGV) , will participate to the next Devember. My Devember will be to tick “make a videogame” off my bucket list . I promise I will program for my Devember for at least an hour, every day of the next December. I will also write a daily public devlog and will make the produced code publicly available on the internet. No matter what, I will keep my promise.

I will create a programming themed game. Called “Lost at C” Like last year I will be working in Rust. This time I am gonna be using the Piston game framework. The details of the game were planned out several years ago, and will be revealed in the devlog as progress is made.

The Devlog is here: Lost at C - Devember 2019 Challenge

5 Likes

Well I’ll make the attempt this year too I guess.

I, Kriss (kriss120) will participate in this years Devember. My Devember will be continuing development on my extensible discord bot “Omega” . I promise I will program for my Devember for at least an hour, every day of December. I will also write a daily public devlog and will make the produced code publicly available on the internet. No matter what, I will keep my promise.

Omega is a discord bot I have written in javascript running on Node.js, using MongoDB to allow extensions to format their own documents for database storage. Omega is more or less a framework to allow quick and easy implementations of bot funtionality using the discord.js library for node applications.

Omega handles the guilds (discord servers) and database interactions through modules and toolkits that the extensions can use. The extensions are added and initialized on runtime, and each guild connected to the Omega bot gets their own instance of the extension, so that all data is separated.

Current features of Omega:
Support for multiple guilds in a single instance of the bot.
Fully extensible, extensions are loaded on runtime.
MongoDB intergration that allows for simple database interaction for extensions.
Permission system that utilizes discord roles and permission powers for gating access to bot commands.

What I might plan to do this devember:
I haven’t spent time working on Omega for months now. I moved cities, started a new job, and so on. There is a lot that needs to be done with Omega. Shit code that needs to be redone, features that need to be implemented, and error checking across the board.

To start with I have been planning to rewrite the entire thing to TypeScript instead of javasript for various reasons, maybe that is what I will start with? Guess I will find out tomorrow. :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

I, alwaysFlOoReD, will participate in this Devember. My Devember will be to read and cheerlead all the participants of Devember. I promise to spend up to an hour a day reading the posts of, and heaping praises (deserved or not) upon participants of this years Devember. I promise to do this whether I understand what I’m reading or not. No matter what, I will keep my promise.
Devember project; cheerleading.
devlog

9 Likes

I, Engle, will participate to the next Devember. My Devember will be a Space 4X Strategy Game. I promise I will program for my Devember for at least an hour, every day of the next December. I will also write a daily public devlog. No matter what, I will keep my promise.

I plan to develop a Space 4X Strategy Game similar in style to VGA Planets. I will be using Unity3D for development.

Devlog: Space 4X Strategy Game - Devember 2019

5 Likes

Joining in.

I, DevBlox , will participate to the next Devember. My Devember will be making a neural network Go package from scratch . I promise I will program for my Devember for at least an hour, every day of the next December. I will also write a daily public devlog and will make the produced code publicly available on the internet. No matter what, I will keep my promise.

I will be using one or two packages to help with matrices etc. I want to learn that Go flavor of assembly, to vectorize and accelerate math with SSE/AVX, want to indulge in micro-optimizing (maybe not over the top though, who has time for that), learn optimization techniques. My main goal is to effectively solve MNIST database, that is the hello world of neural networks, and make it as best as I can during the month. I will just stop working on it then, freeze it.

I’m a cheat, since I’ve started working on the neural net like a month ago already, did not get very far, and so there’s still f-loads of work to do, so I guess I’ll just motivate myself with this to finish it.

Baseline now - I’ve made a package to read the IDX data format, I’ve figured out the maths, almost got my tests to not fail said maths, 0 optimization has been done, 0 plugging up the inputs or anything.

Might blog it too, maybe, I always forget about the damn thing. Will post links later.

Good luck, fighters!

EDIT: Dummy, I have to have the oath right, so I got it right now :slight_smile: + devlog is better off a thread.

7 Likes

hi im katia and I’ll try to make my led controller thing work nicely

7 Likes

Hi katia, welcome to L1T.
I’m looking forward to seeing your progress.
Good luck.

2 Likes

I, AdminDev, will participate to the next Devember. My Devember will be admindev.tech 2.0. I promise I will program for my Devember for at least an hour, every day of the next December. I will also write a daily public devlog and will make the produced code publicly available on the internet. No matter what, I will keep my promise.

I think I tried this last year, but quickly fell out due to work and personal commitments. Since I already told my family I’d be letting them down this year, and my work never seems to need me, I’m good to go this year :wink:

My current site is in Node.js, EJS, and CSS. It’s great and all, especially for that little site, but it’s what I learned a long time ago and haven’t really pushed myself to learn anything new on the webdev side.

I am going to do version 2 in Golang. I will also have a script to push changes (update the podcast and content) in either Go or Bash rather than continue to update the embedded code and push to GitHub. The latter might be perfectly viable, but I think there is something more streamlined (BUZZWORD OH YEAH).

3 Likes

Reminder can people create their devlog threads as they post their promise.

Makes adding projects to the list easier

2 Likes

Ok, i’ll join this one. I’m a day late and with only having moved it will be tough, but i like a good challenge:
I, domsch1988 , will participate to the next Devember. My Devember will be a QT Based Desktop App for Transcribing Music. I promise I will program for my Devember for at least an hour, every day of the next December. I will also write a daily public devlog and will make the produced code publicly available on the internet. No matter what, I will keep my promise.

So, with that out of the way, i’ll add my Devlog in a moment. So far, i’ve been missing this app specifically and couldn’t dig something up. I’m a guitarist and learning songs by ear needs some specialized tools. Mainly a player that can play 1 song, change tempo and/or pitch quickly and often and allow for flexible infinite repeat of selected sections. I might add other features, but that’s the core.
I’ve not started yet, but will later today. I have no QT Workflow set up, but with Plasma being my Desktop of choice whenever i need something stable, it’s to logical choice. I really don’t want this to be a electron app.
I’m also not sure what i’m getting into when dealing with Audio Playback in Linux. We’ll see i guess.

Link to the Devlog: A QT Transcription Audio Player
Just a plan so far. First Progress later today.

4 Likes

“I, Shecks, will participate to the next Devember. My Devember will be to re-write my Road Trip Tracker Android application . I promise I will program for my Devember for at least an hour, every day of the next December. I will also write a daily public devlog and will make the produced code publicly available on the internet. No matter what, I will keep my promise.”

Shecks

And here is a link to my devblog, ramblings, excuses and rants

5 Likes

A bit late to the party but better late then never.

I, Ashabuggie, will participate to the next Devember. My Devember will be to create a smart clock application called P-Clock. I promise I will program for my Devember for at least an hour, every day of the next December. I will also write a daily public devlog and will make the produced code publicly available on the internet. No matter what, I will keep my promise.`

I’ve been meaning to create a Smart Clock application that is similiar in functionality to the Google Nest Hub / Lenovo Smart clock, but without the prying eyes of Google or Facebook. Most likely I won’t be able intergrate everything that the smart clocks on the market can do but I’ll be happy if the application can display time, show the weather forecast, act as a digital picture frame, and play music.

7 Likes

Hey sorry I’m totally late to the party. Life has had me busy and I’m totally starting late but I am still doing something coding oriented in this December.

I don’t need to be there in terms of the prize for a challenge or whatever but I would love to be included in the post.

in parallel I will likely be trying to make C code to demonstrate some communications protocols in terms of QAM OFDM. I’m not sure I can handle these in parallel yet so that will be “to be determined” in the next few days

however programming some tools in Python that are penetration tools are definitely something that I’m going this December

You know what I’ll find a way to make up for my lost days :wink:

5 Likes

hi I’m sorry, i have to drop out of devember for medical reasons

:worried:
Hope you get over whatever it is.
Good luck.

1 Like