Developing on Windows 10 in 2019

Amazon is perfect that’s what we use for purchasing. I’m compiling a wishlist to send to my operations manager to order for me.

Definitely gonna grab that first one then i’ll go from there.

2 Likes

A reminder:

5 Likes

Yeah man, if you use it in your day to day then it’s definitely going to hammer into your brain. The book estimates that each chapter will take you 45 minutes to complete, then exercises.

It doesn’t take into account muscle memory, experience, or reading speed but I more or less finished it within the 29 days or whatever. I had three Windows servers in a little lab for practice, but at the time I was able to practice at work too.

The first few chapters are kinda boring, so have patience. It ramps up to epicness pretty quick though. You’re running network diagnostics and shit through PowerShell :metal: :sunglasses:

Looks like that second book you suggested is supposed to be preceeded by this one

think that’s necessary?

1 Like

Hmm, internet suggest this is possible using x11 forwarding. But no info on windows GUI programs.

Thanks though, maybe a good option in the future.

PowerShell Scripting in a Month of Lunches is the spiritual successor to that book, making it null and void.

@SoulFallen BTW if you’re ever looking for stuff and see it written by Don Jones or Jeffery Hicks it’s a safe bet. Jeffery Hicks is a MS MVP and Don Jones was one of the first to grab hold and push it to the limits.

1 Like

i have a feeling between those first two i’ll be covered… literally everything i’m doing is automation related, with the exception of maybe some registry tweaks every so often.

1 Like

You can automate those, too! :wink: With PowerShell, Ansible, or Chef.

Nice man, if you think about it spin up a journal or blog or something, I’d like to see your progress :grin:

maybe… i’d have to be extremely selective, anything that could reveal how processes work behind the scenes here at AVA. I did sign an NDA, not sure if it would be possible. If i make any random pet projects outside of work that could be a possibility.

1 Like

Ah, yeah, I can see how that would be tricky. Maybe ask if you guys can show off how it’s done behind the scenes as a sort of marketing or PR campaign? :wink:

“The tech behind AVA tech”

Spoiler, the “tech behind AVA” is just a master tier shitposter on L1 techs :rofl:

2 Likes

Ive actually really started to like the new Windows development scheme. Ive been listening to their changes since ages ago. The way they develop windows now really is quite nice. The open sourcing of alot of their apps and stuff. If you have been following its really helped both microsoft and linux. Of course your gonna have the dumbtards who yell absolutely proprietary. They can go practice what they preach elsewhere. True freedom is letting people run what they want to run and develop what they want to develop. Love where microsoft is going. Its a great path and their software gets better every day. Windows 10 is a testament to that. Its really hard to break it. new release are always buggy but heck so are linux distro release haah…

I have been using the WSL for a bit and man is it awesome. Same with powershell. I am really liking the power user options available

2 Likes

Ok I went a little overboard with it. It’s an i5 2450m, but only 4 gigs, for windows I’d have to buy another stick (wouldn’t be such a dealbreaker).

I use windows at work, had sniffed around powershell and so far I love it, but cmd is also pretty cool. Is there a way to only update when you want? Like a cmd/powershell script that hides the auto-updater and lets you update when you’re free to do so?

Most companies here use windows, if not all, and I’d probably be better off by learning its ways. I’m so basic on windows… don’t even know how to set things up properly.

Enterprise environments, the OG to forcing updates down your throat. If watching people in those environments say anything about how people update their systems, it is the very reason we are stuck with the current way Windows updates works today. Too many times people ignore updates for months on end and refuse to listen to IT when it comes to updating the system.

Forgive my ignorance but can you expand on vscode with ssh addon please?

Sure:
There is an extension called “Remote - SSH”. After installing that you can press Ctrl + Shift + P And Enter SSH. One option is “Remote - SSH: Open configuration file…” That’ll let you edit your .ssh/config file to add hosts.
After you added a host there, you can press Ctrl + Shift + P again and search for “Remote-SSH: Connect to host…” it’ll let you choose a host from your ssh file and make a new workspace.
You can then, depending on the user, open a Folder and live edit files over SSH.

Example:

That’s an SSH Session on our Nagios Server. It’s running on Windows, connected to a CentOS 7 Server running our Nagios where i’m writing a Plugin to check Sophos UTM Firewalls over SNMP. This allows me to make changes to the file, save them and test them on the server through Nagios’s Webfrontend without a seperate WinSCP Session and having to upload files and changing permissions on that file after every upload etc.

The Plugin does a whole lot more, including a terminal in Code etc.

6 Likes

And to think I was about to go the vfio route. Appreciate the explanation. I will stick with Linux on my server and in VMware player.

1 Like

I was reading about Core OS just now… and that’s probably the reason for it to (almost) exist… It’s meant to handle updates like chromeOS (which is damn neat, I have one).

Now I’m curious if we could get around to develop into Core itself… (but yeah shit hasn’t even been officially anounced yet…)

1 Like

So yeah, here I am on the other side of the table just for the sake of it.

I’ll take the reverse plunge and see what NT land can offer to me (I jumped into penguin lands as soon as college started cause of a new SSD and lazyness to find windows ISO <didn’t know you could literally download from their page and about the overlay text>).

I’m learning web development, if you experienced guys ccould help me it would be neat, if you think this should be a different thread I’ll make it so, but let’s go:

Chocolatey: necessary or optional?

Can I use npm, yarn and all the good stuff from cmd or powershell without chocolatey or scoop?

Are there drawbacks in any of the options (using it or not using it)?

1 Like

For software development it is really nice to have. For software utilities it is hit or miss (I use it to install VMware Workstation, Creative Cloud, and Visual Studio Enterprise 2019 and, for VMware and VSE2019 it works most of the time, but Creative Cloud is botched 1/3 of the time).

Chocolatey is great for initial setup (installing Steam, 7zip, browsers, utilities (Corsair iCue, for example), etc.) and for installing software ad-hoc.

"Oh snap, that’s right, I forgot I needed Python3 for this PowerShell tool.

choco install python3 -y

All done. Yay!"

Absolutely. There are very bizarre Linux-isms that I’ve experienced when using npm, but for the most part I’ve been able to resolve it by deleting package-lock.json or running PowerShell as Admin.

Setting up a dev environment for Kibana was much smoother on Windows than Ubuntu, and I truly mean that. To work with Kibana you use both npm and yarn.

Go is also a pleasure to work with on Windows, and the folks at JetBrains that build Goland are majority on Windows for their development environment, if you want something besides VS Code.

However, with Go installed (with Chocolatey that’s choco install golang) you can open VS Code and change the file type to “Go” and you’ll see a message saying “Go Analysis Tools Missing” – As long as Git is installed, you can select this option and you’ll have a fantastic dev environment for Golang within VS Code. Takes less than a minute (on my workstation) to fetch all of the Go utilities.

1 Like