Desperatly need help setting up headless UBUNTU vm server

but the issue is even though I’m using a bridged network it acts like it’s natted and doesn’t give an address on the network but instead a private 192 address my network instarnal address are 10.x.x.x

How is your network setup? what is handing out IP addresses?

The server and my desktop are both given ip address by the router but all the vms on the server are getting address by what i assume is dnsmasq because even though it’s set to use the bridge network it still doesn’t get assigned an address from router

I dont see anything in your arguments about specifying bridged

You might need to specify a bridged setup with --network argument

https://jamielinux.com/docs/libvirt-networking-handbook/bridged-network.html

maybe this will get you sorted.

added the network bridge=br0 and still hangs on same spot. I’m almost at the point of giving up on cli and installing a desktop lol

I think you should install a desktop so it can help and learn the cli after a you get a VM or two up and running.

1 Like

well you have to add the device br0 too.

its been up since install. i have a nas setup with mergerfs ans snapraid

I’m not sure how those relate to your networking issue.

Did you make a bridged device following that guide for the VM to attach to?

It had to do with the docket install I believe. I followed the guide for the ultimate home server (can’t think of the YouTube channel) but I have docker and samba installed. And Apache along with Nginx

docker is a whole other beast.

Lol that I learned. They had you set it up to compile snapraid I believe. So it’s there if I want to use it but it’s too advanced for me at this time.

Here is what I used https://blog.linuxserver.io/2017/06/24/the-perfect-media-server-2017/ text

tbh you could simplify a lot of your setup with unraid.

it also does headless VMs really well.

i was going to use that but it requires a licence and im broke

weellll, theres also proxmox, but its not quite as simple.

1 Like

Lol yes that was suggested. One look and I was out. I’m mainly a windows user but have enough Ubuntu experience to get me in trouble.

Why?

Proxmox is a really solid option. I highly recommend it if you can’t afford unraid.

4 Likes

just didn’t have a friendly way of setting it up plus i wanted to have flexibility for the future. I broke down and installed ubuntu desktop on the server. Hopefully that won’t open too many security risks :frowning:

Unless you got upnp enabled on your router or ports opened with access to that machine you will most likely be ok.