Desktop vs DTR: quiet workstation for DS/ML and VMs

Ok, better word choice is possible… Please show if my reasoning is flawed.

Nobody knows the future, but as they say, history doesn’t repeat itself but it often rhymes.

Performance is not only down to MHz on the core. Latency can be improved, cache speed, memory clocks… and that is just the things I kind of understand.

Features are not really relevant, the 12nm architecture is more important. Compared to the 14nm it will be more efficient at the same clocks or equally efficient at higher clocks.

Yes, a brand new product will be more expensive than the old model that is also heavily discounted.

Ryzen support on linux was pretty damn good from the start. I had basically no issues on manjaro with the 1700 when it was brand new. I did have the seg_fault error and the chip had to be replaced but linux compatibility is a non issue. The APUs are a different story but for a second gen of basically the same architecture of pure CPUs, I’d be surprised if linux support won’t be there from day 1.

The APUs got support via UEFI update in about two days. And those are actually way more different, I would assume.
I am pretty sure most manufacturers already have Zen+ compatible UEFI updates to download today.

Anything that works today will work tomorrow.
Memory support is improving constantly, that isn’t a thing you can be done with, ever.

1 Like

Since linux support and performance seem good, I’m tempted to get Ryzen gen 2. Specifically, the 2700X since I’m not an overclocker and the price difference isn’t too much compared to the 2700.

What X470 board would be a good match?

The downside of the 2700X is the 105W TDP vs the 2700’s 65W… so I want a capable cooler to stay quiet at least at idle and low loads. Thoughts between the Noctua NH-D15 SE-AM4 and Phanteks PH-TC14PE?

Are there any reviews of the X470 Taichi yet? And any equivalent competitors? I like the Taichi, but its launch has been delayed until May 15th here. :confused:

Looking for strong: linux support, fan control, self-overclocking for the 2700X. Also, wifi and hopefully PCIe X4 on both M.2 slots.

For the CPU cooler, I’m between the Noctua NH-D15 or NH-U14S, leaning towards the former. Opinions? My reasoning is that the D15 is ironically better for RAM compatibility especially in single-fan mode, and at about the same price as the U14S but with an extra fan seems like the better value.

I got an evga 650g2 that was used and it works perfectly. It really depends on the seller.

I’m sure it would often be fine, it’s just the element of unknown and with a critical part like a PSU.

Incidentally, I bought a new Corsair RM650x and it turned out to be defective. A capacitor was loose and was blocking one of the 24-pin ATX connectors from plugging into the PSU…