Desktop suddenly powered off and doesn't boot anymore

Hi,

Yesterday afternoon I was working on my desktop which I put together myself last summer and then it suddenly powered off and I can’t seem to boot it anymore.
I have a AMD Ryzen 3900X and the Gigabyte Aorus X570 Master motherboard and the only thing that is showing a bit of “life” is a blinking power button on the top right of the motherboard and the clear CMOS button on the back as shown in the picture below.

The things I’ve tried to do so far is switch out the PSU for another one, change the RAM combinations from 4 to 2 slots, and took out the GPU but none of these changes made my computer start up.

Does anybody know what could be causing this issue as I have run out of things to try and I have no spare components to switch them out? From my point of view it can only be the motherboard (CMOS) or CPU but maybe someone else can shed more light on my situation.

That red circle is a power button on the motherboard, not related to the CMOS.

What happens when you press it? Nothing I take it.

From your mobo manual:

You may clear the CMOS values by removing the battery:

1. Turn off your computer and unplug the power cord.
  2. Gently remove the battery from the battery holder and wait for one minute.
    (Or use a metal object like a screwdriver to touch the positive and negative terminals of the battery holder, making them short for 5 seconds.)
  3. Replace the battery.
  4. Plug in the power cord and restart your computer.

Try clearing the CMOS settings first. Then for step #4, press the button that is circled in red in the picture you posted and report back.

Instead of removing the battery, there is also a clear CMOS jumper that can be used instead. The instructions for using it are on page 37.

Don’t want to be that naysayer but there is a small chance your PSU has gone kamikaze. It’s sounds odd maybe, but smell your components if any of them smell burned you have a good change that component had a bit of extra volts send to it.

Indeed, nothing happens when I press the power button. One thing I have forgot to say is that I have been messing a bit with the BIOS settings to get clear Linux working on my desktop but I didn’t think it would have made my desktop unable to boot at all. I’m at school right now so I can try to clear the CMOS this evening.

The downside is that I have lost my sense of smell due to a head injury so can’t do that unfortunately. But it is also the thing I fear what’s happened.

trouble shooting a no-starting computer.
1: remove all peripherals even usb one like keyboard and mouse
2: if you have onboard video, remove video card
3: remove all ram except 1 stick
4: remove all other onboard devices, including hard drives -even the power- , front panel connections (including usb and audio), rgb , fans (even the cpu fan long enough to see it it will post) , etc
5: clear cmos

you want to be down to a bare board with a cpu and 1 stick of ram, and a video card if no onboard video.
see if it posts or gives a post code in that state. if no boot but you get a post code, consult the manual for the post code.
if it boots to bios , shut it down , then plug in 1 device at a time until it fails to boot. this will be the faulty device. i would start with the front panel power and reset switches, ive seen these fail before. other possibilities ive seen include a failed hard drive (or other device) pulling to much power and causing the psu to autoshutoff such as a shorted usb port, failed usb device and so on.

1 Like

Unfortunately, nothing posts. Cleared the cmos, tried different single ram sticks, with and without a gpu and only the cpu inserted in to the motherboard. I guess I have a dead motherboard and/or cpu and I don’t have spare parts for those. :frowning:

Unlikely that it does anything but you could test it outside the case just on a piece of cardboard. You’ll have to “unmake” the system anyway.

Tested on the motherboard box but to no avail…

Try reseating the CPU, sometimes this forces a reluctant pc to reset to fresh. Did this last week on an old haswell box.

Took it out of the socket twice already and nothing. I Just hope the warranty will provide me a new motherboard or cpu as I have no clue which of them is causing the issue.

Symptoms would generally point to PSU going bad which could take out anything/everything else. That being said before replacing anything else I would take the motherboard out of the case, set it on a non-conductive surface and see if you can boot it outside the case. I have had strange situations where systems suddenly started showing symptoms of a short somewhere, but taking it out of the case fixed it.

It seems that it is the former as putting it on a non conductive surface also doesn’t do anything. I’m going to bring the whole system back to the shop and see if they can get it to run again.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.