Desktop PC power backup solutions

Why don't desktop PCs use internal batteries like laptops as a power backup solution?

What I mean is to provide the battery power directly to the board and other components bypassing the power supply circuitry as in laptops, rather than the current systems ( battery-inverter-adapter)

Would it be more efficient?

Do you mean a ups that is integrated with the computer?  I don't know if anyone does that.

My laptop has a 90w brick.  My work laptops had 60 w bricks.  My computer has a 750w psu plus a monitor and i can draw over 1.1 kw from the wall under load.  You would need one big expensive battery.

UPS batteries die very quickly and they are very expensive to replace. I used to have one but now with SSD's and a graphics card that runs fine without a fan I don't care if the power goes out.

some desktops may use 700+ watts but a gtx 960 and i7-4770K are only 215watts. the average mobo and stuff only draw maybe 25watts so you only really need 240. which is around the same power usage as some alienware laptops.

a laptop battery should last almost as long in a desktop as it dose in a laptop. provided that it has the same power saving features. namely sleep states.

the only problem is laptop boards are designed to use around 19-20 volts. desktops only use 12 volts so you need a way to convert it down. you also need a way to monitor battery usage.

the best way I know to do this is to use a pico psu.

also @Commodore 64

you do know that SSDs can die if the power goes out during a file transfer right?

#0000ff ;">Power failure for SSD is potentially much more dangerous than it is for conventional hard drives. Because SSDs use complex flash translation layers (FTLs) to manage the mapping between logical block addresses and physical flash memory locations, if power failure corrupts the metadata about this mapping, the entire SSD can become inoperable. -- eetimes

Awww fudge!

Well then some kind of SSD safe shutdown ability in a PSU would be a great idea. What are the options apart from a full UPS for the entire system?

edit: so I need an SSD with PLP for my next upgrade