Desktop Nvidia GTX 980 in a Laptop (Also, VR) | Benchmarks, Tests, & News | Tek Syndicate

</p>					

Nvidia has found the secret to true mobile gaming. Use a desktop GPU. This also allows VR on mobile.

Nvidia had a little press conference to show off one the the biggest things to ever happen to mobile gaming. They put a full GTX 980 into a laptop. This means desktop performance on a laptop, VR on a laptop, etc.

Watch the video and let us know what you think.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://teksyndicate.com/videos/desktop-nvidia-gtx-980-laptop-also-vr-benchmarks-tests-news

It's Clevo, Logan. Not Clio lol

Edit: Got it right later.

Next step put in a non gimped R9 390 into a laptop.

Cool, but I'm skeptical of the reliability of laptops with discrete GPUs in them. For 3 yearsI had an Asus G73JH with the mobile radeon HD5870 in it. It was constantly overheating and throttling and for the last year it was barely usable. After that I built my first desktop.

not the fury nano?

I'd give it a month before AMD makes a mock up of a laptop with some kind of Fury in it

maybe, its partially gimped cause its been cherry picked imho

This is what I really want to see! The power efficiency of the HBM in a mobile Fury GPU should be able to kick the a$$ of any Maxwell GPU...in theory. The drivers are the really crutch for AMD right now, but they are actively developing their open source drivers for Linux and hopefully in the near future we will see Steam OS and Linux performance with AMD GPUs really begin to shine. This will give Windows and Nvidia some much-needed competition.

ASUS used bad solder on their cards. MXM-B standard Mobility Radeons don't have this problem. (I have 8 of them, they all have good solder.)

Oh my goodness. Oh my damn. The missing link in gaming has been found.

I'm at the point where this sort of thing just does not matter to me one bit. First it's a laptop; not interested in laptops due to lack of upgrade-ability and excessive price margins. Second it's a GTX 980; we all know how they perform already. Third it's Nvidia yet again; their excessive oversaturation of the free market through one product at a time releases with both timed NDAs and plenty of time for full reviews has left me quite jaded and no longer interested.

I'm not averse to innovation like MSI's laptop dock which is at least unique and interesting in spite of being a laptop. So other than "omg these are exceptionally well binned 980 chips" (which should also be used in their desktop lines, and hopefully not dedicated to the laptops) if there's something legitimately innovative here; I'm all ears.

I might think again before building a mini Itx. This is way more useful in a Lan party than bringing your screen and all. You just can't upgrade yet but I'm sure they'll make swappable graphics if the demand is there.

Seems like Vulkan would be their savior for linux

Vulkan has some great potential, but I don't see that helping the 1500+ steam games already working with OpenGL 4.5 and under.

Despite unoptimization isn't hardware eventually just going to be strong enough to run them easily?

I am not sure how I feel about it. If you have the caps, seems great. But I am still just going to watch with marshmallows and smores ready in case in burst into flames.

1 Like

I lol'd

Its pretty neat that they got the 980 into a laptop but I don't see myself ever buying a laptop for gaming, I will always do my gaming on a desktop.

And Logan, your spontaneous beatboxing almost made me spit out my coffee.

Its cool and all but when I heard about the press conference I was hoping we where going to get a new Shield tablet and portable.

Pretty impressive to say the least. A 160W GPU (which implies that they're using top notch components and highly binned chips) in a laptop still requires a beefy cooling solution and power delivery. How loud were they under normal use (reference clocks, no overclocking)? I assume the "turbo mode" was at the leafblower level when it comes to noise. I guess battery life will not be stellar to say the least, at least if you run the 980 under load. No matter how well they can deal with the heat or possibly even noise, battery technology still hasn't really caught up yet to actually use a 160W GPU when you're mobile.

Also, g-sync and a desktop 980? I assume that those laptops don't have a g-sync module, so is adaptive-sync support (whether it's unofficial or official) closer than ever? I think we're still waiting on those hacked drivers that make the Nvidia cards think that they're using eDP. Freesync/adaptive-sync seems more and more attractive every time we hear anything about mobile g-sync.

I thought VR on Maxwell had quite a few issues, huge latency problems, etc. I thought that was the whole reason why they launched this whole "VR Direct" thing? Was that already implemented in the games you guys were testing?