Desktop Hypervisor, Remote OS using local hardware

For straight pxe booting your desktop you shouldn’t have to run kvm/proxmox on the other system.

1 Like

Yea I am going through the learning process of that right now, setting up the TFTP.

Sounds like what you want is a thin client

Nah, he wants a slimthicc client.

3 Likes

Why do you want to complicate your life so much?

Maybe think about xcp-ng and HA(Resource Pools) …

2 Likes

The short answer, I want every OS and no OS at the same time.

The reason is simply to do it, complexity makes it more interesting tbh.

Xen has been on my list, I just never really was sold by anything I read about it, I guess I’ll have to give it another peek.

So I took my time making sure I had everything figured out first, and the time to do it but big thank you to you TimHolus. In all my searching I definitely came across XCP-ng and just thought it was basically the same as Xenserver, but it is definitely not.

Being able to manage and run your VM from the baremetal hypervisor without having to have some full OS infrastructure in place is pretty great. I have no idea how to use High Availability Resource Pools yet, but I also don’t even have it installed yet. I’ll be installing it tonight and well, I’ll come back with an update when I get a web browser going lol.

Soo a quick update, I got up to the point where I managed to get XCP-ng to run headless on my desktop, and output windows 10 over my RX 480, while I was installing my Manjaro VM for the other GPU somehow I lost the ability to connect with the management software and after about 3 hours trying to get that working (mind you I could ping from box to box as I am using my laptop as the control for xcp-ng) I gave up, reinstalled Manjaro, installed windows 10 on a hard drive (seperately) and just have Windows 10 running off the HD in a VM, on Manjaro.

I’ve installed xcp-ng on my server now though, so I’ll mess around with it until I can get that sort of configuration setup and just migrate the vms over later.