Deploying TrueNAS and NextCloud with off-site backups

Looking for some help on this one. I’m a bit of a Linux noob, but I’m about to roll my first home server running TrueNAS Scale (I’m aware it’s still in beta but Debian >BSD). The server will run Plex, and I will also have a NextCloud instance where I intend to store critical files (I’ve lost a few too many documents over the years, time to get smart).

So here’s the rub. I would like to integrate daily off-site backups of the NextCloud data store. Can this be done with Linode object storage and RSync? This will likely be well under a TB of data, unless I decide to store photos too. I don’t need the data to available over the internet, but I do want to be able to download the data incase of a local hardware failure.

Any wisdom you can provide is much appreciated.

1 Like

Upon further reading, BackBlaze B2 seems like a better option, especially when it comes to pricing.

1 Like

BackBlaze is the cheapest by far but there are some caveats to be aware of.

For example, my monthly bill is like $3 for the ~240GiB I have on there. (Don’t forget to do encryption!)

When using the cloud sync task you might be tempted to run it every hour.

Don’t.

The listing of remote file contents counts as a class B billable action and you’re only allowed so many of these actions per day for free.

One time I got hit with a $50 bill and was like what the hell.

Other S3 bucket compatible providers like Linode or Digital Ocean, or Oracle Block Storage, don’t bill in the same way but have higher monthly costs.

So i recommend looking at how much data you currently have, how critical some of it is, and then get a provider that suits your needs.

So if you can get away with just daily backups then you have the glut of choice to go with what ever is cheaper. If your risk tolerance for catastrophic data loss demands you not lose a days worth of data then you need to pony up for that. If seems like this is your desired goal so yeah B2 is fine.

4 Likes

So daily syncs to BackBlaze don’t incur additional fees, with the exception for your increased data footprint?

I’ll likely follow Tom’s Lawrence’s guide on YouTube.

He’s definitely right on about allowing TrueNAS to do the encryption before data leaves. I just need to make sure my keys/passwords are well guarded somewhere other than the server itself…

1 Like