Denuvo - allegations

I...
...have no words. Checked the date - its not the 1 April.

I wonder how the story will go, If it is not some kind of joke of a guy on some forum.

1 Like

If denuvo don't move soon, steam games will start showing up as viruses, at least if the VMProtect developer makes good on his word.

It's the kind of sad story that one still sort of hopes to be true. :wink:

Sad? No, this is great. Never will I root for the company screwing the paying customer with bullshit DRM.

Denuvo deserve all that is coming to them.

Bit of a clickbait title because the software was not pirated but used beyond the terms of the license.

I have mixed feelings about Dunovo. They are fighting a cause that hurts companies the most but nobody really likes DRM

2 Likes

i still have yet to know of a company that suffered financially due to piracy

3 Likes

Uh huh... and people who buy legit copies and them pass it round is not piracy then, just use outside of the terms of the license.

Of course it was piracy! If you were caught doing the same thing it would be piracy laws that govern what happens to you.

This particular DRM has been proven to degrade performance for the paying customer and the pirates get a better game. There have also been allegations of the DRM damaging hardware, SSDs in this case. How you ask? well Denuvo makes it so the actual games code is never run on your OS, it is first virtualised and then spat back out at you. this causes excessive overheads in CPU usage and claims of excessive read/writes to SSDs prematurely aging the drives.

Denuvo is awful and the company needs to go away. Any game company found using it should be lambasted and laughed at in the street. There is ZERO defending this.

2 Likes

Crytek with crysis

The "story" ended. But I wanted it so badly to be true.

http://vmpsoft.com/20170606/vmprotect-and-denuvo-gmbh/

Great so we will keep getting fucked over legally. Well the only solution now is to pirate Denuvo games, at least they have the crack times down to less than a week.

Nuts to paying money for a game the deliberately slows itself down because you paid for it, where pirates get the game as it was intended to be played.

1 Like

so it wasn't the mediocre games with high budget graphics that only a niche market had the hardware to buy leading to low sales that caused it?
Or developing a extremely expensive and buggy engine and selling it on low margins in hopes to achieve high adopt ratio?

Bad business decisions led to the downfall of crytek, not piracy. How much did they "estimate" that piracy cost them versus the amount of money they needed to go on?

Edit:

heck, some sources even show crysis 1 (the one accused of being the most pirated and leading to console development0) sold 3 million units...if you cant live on these numbers, it is your own fault for doing bad business!

Probably that yeaa. DRM is useless ofc. I just remembered that Crytek was stating piracy was the reason. Was definetly another case of we need someone to blame. Look there Piracy!

1 Like

Napster? Lol their great business model killed them

BS article. Denuvo paid for the software they were using but were paying for a license for less than what VMProtect was willing warrant.

Well this made my day.