Denon SC-N5 - Modification

I needed some cheap, small speakers for my desk,
Amazon had a pair of Denons for only 60€ (66$), I just couldn't resist.
My expectations weren't that high, but still, they were crushed immediately:
While the mid-range and base section sounded fine, very surprising for their size, the highs were TERRIBLE.
Take a normal pair of speakers and glue pillows in front of them - that would be the closest I could think of.

Since I'm an electronics engineer I've decided to take them apart and take a peek:
Wait! What?! No crossover?! You gotta be shitting me Denon.
Just and electrolytic capacitor in front of the tweeter, that's all.
An that's not even the end of it: The value was totally off - 2µF - that's a crossover frequency of (I don't know) 8 or 9 KHz.

So I spent some time to design my own crossover network ;)
It was worth it, I'm now able to enjoy music on those speakers, that's why I want to share this project with you guys.

Disclaimer: It isn't pretty, but it get's the job done:

2 Likes

Its always great to see this sort of thing. Good job.

1 Like

really cool op, can you explain more of what you did?

I will explain my idea and the process of designing the crossover on Saturday =)

1 Like

Good job! I hate it when companies cheap out on things like this.

Just a word of warning, there probably is a reason why the crossover FQ is so high, maybe it's a tweeter with an awful displacement and it can't handle the lower frequencies without the voice coil bottoming out.

But yeah 8-9 kHz crossover is very unusual to say the least, even with speakers with a smaller midrange element.

you are probably right, the tweeter is quite small, maybe Denon was trying to hold their "60 Watts" claim.

@all: Sorry, I couldn't find the time to update this thread - yet.