Den-Fi's Tech-ish Blog

that thing is fucking crazy

I think thats a home defense weapon instead of a keyboard

You certainly would have a bad day if you got hit in the head with it lol.

64 fully pinned threads is a beautiful site.

2 Likes

The Den-Fi 2019 Rewind!

Really wishing AMD would follow up EPYC Embedded 3000 series with some Rome based stuff. It’s been such a rock solid setup for my dev VMs.

1 Like

At a crossroads. This will be my workhorse… my brain says zero maintenance tubing, but my hear says PETG… help!

3 Likes

after having done my own hard line… soft tube for me.

maybe next time ill do pex-al-pex

Yeah, my first loop was hard line. It was actually pretty fun. I want to do ZMT since I want to be able to maintain it without draining it when I need to troubleshoot… but aesthetics lol.

I know the right answer is ZMT though. I’ll just have to get over it.

I don’t think that’s where your GPUs are supposed to go.

I could be wrong though.

It’s where you put them when you’re having an existential crisis about loop planning.

Hard line made me appreciate more complex builds way more.

Yeah. After I finished my build, I went back and re-watched a lot of hardline vids I had just kind of enjoyed as a spectator and they were so much better after having gone through it. Especially the ridiculous ones like der8auer’s irrationality build.

Soon… soon.

Black Box 4K60 DisplayPort Dual-Head KVM Switch - 4-Port

It’s been a mixed bag so far.

The behavior of Displayport moving and re-sizing windows every time you switch inputs is super annoying. Everything takes about 3-5 seconds to settle down. This behavior is the least annoying in Windows surprisingly.
In MacOS Catalina, my portrait monitor forgets it’s a portrait monitor every other time I switch. I don’t fault the KVM for this, but it is annoying.

As for the actual KVM, when I switch to Pop OS, it refuses to acknowledge the mouse (Logitech MX Master 3) until I unplug it and plug it back in. Not ideal when the KVM is under my monitor. This might be fixed in firmware updates, but I have to wait for a 9V 2A adapter to be able to put it in firmware write mode. Hope that resolves it otherwise it’s a rather expensive paperweight.

Knew I should have just been patient and waited for the Level1 KVM restock lol…

2 Likes

Follow up: Absolutely everything works perfectly now that I have the 9V2A plugged in. Previously plugging in the logitech dongle to the hub section had it work for a moment, then stop. Also, my Klipsch speakers recognized, but didn’t put out any audio. That’s all solved. I was hoping/expecting that to happen, but I didn’t realize the ridiculous displayport flickery mess would also stop. Whew. The experience is 1,000x better.

Would have helped if it came with all the accessories, but hey… I got a $110 refund because of it.

I am now happy.

This is actually able to be mitigated. You can set the display layout to persist in Windows on… somewhere. I don’t remember.

Also, on Linux, it’s fairly hit or miss as well. The only solution I’ve found to that is to use a WM rather than a full fat DE, so the DE doesn’t try to think it’s smarter than you when displays plug and unplug.

On OSX, I don’t know what to tell you.

Wait, does it save the display layouts and whatnot?

Also, does it have USB 3 on it? That’s pretty much the only thing holding me back.

1 Like

Yeah. It somehow retains the signal so that it doesn’t go haywire so that is no longer a concern. Not so much as a flicker now.

USB 2.0, sadly. Just glad that my speakers work.

Interesting.

Must be an EDID cloner.

Too bad. That display change feature is the missing link on the L1 kvm.

@wendell next-gen L1 kvm potential?

2 Likes

Pull the 7980XE out to de-lid it.
Buuuuuuuuut… I think I threw the de-lid too out.
Sigh.

The picture so nice, but the story too sad to :heart: the post.