Dell XPS 15 : failed psa error v4304

Back ground data:

• Spec’s are Dell XPS 15 9550, 32GB of Corsair RAM, 512GB 950 PRO
  • Updated BIOS the day before(probably unrelated)
  • Running Arch w/ LUKs encryption

Went to bed with my laptop next to me laying on the bed. Woke up a while later with fans over working because the bottom vent was blocked. So i shut it down.

Next morning the laptop booted to dell logo then froze. I ran the System check from the boot options menu and got “fail psa v4304 error 2000:0155… No drive installed”

After doing the power cycle (Dell’s solution) it started screaming at me that I had incompatible RAM(reseated them fixed that), but I still had the same error. According to my googling there was no recourse and the drive was bad.

So for kickes I booted into my Arch rescue/live usb and could interact with the drive so I ran fsck. It removed several files called dell/EMC/EFI/(something…sorry I was in a hurry to get back to work and didn’t take notes) from the boot partition.

Anyway, it booted back up and everything seemed to be where I left it and have done a full system backup just in case.

Anyone have an idea what went wrong(beside Dell deciding I didn’t need a boot partition) or have this happen to them?

At a complete guess it sounds as simple as something got corrupted and fsck fixed it.

1 Like

Haha I figured that much . Found it odd that no one mentioned repairing the drive in any of the posts I read…
I don’t think it got randomly corrupted…
Just hoping for insite on the root cause…
aka… I was hoping someone would wave there magic wand and come up with an answer for a post with out enough information.

1 Like

I’d recommend that you do another scan of the disk and check the SMART status. You might find there are some failed blocks or similar. If it happens again take it as a sign that the disk is probably failing and should be replaced.