Dell XPS 13/15, X1 Carbon or?

Hey peeps,

New job said I could pick any laptop I want, so I think I will chose a high-end ultrabook. I can field any other request, but it seemed to me the best options were Dell XPS 13 or 15 or the X1 Carbon. Requirement is really only 4 PCIe lanes for an eGPU (RX 580) and good Linux support (I use Arch).

I am a Systems Engineer and will do some local testing, but everything is hosted in one of the big 3 cloud providers and I don’t imagine I will build much on my machine. I have used either a P51 or T480 at my current job and do like Lenovo products, but it seems the Dell has a better keyboard and trackpad. I will work most often with it docked, but sometimes I do venture out and use the device itself, so it is important to have something with a good KB/trackpad.

Questions:

• Is the 15 inch Dell any less portable? I am roughly 5’10"/178 cm so neither large nor small, but I have always thought the 14 inch laptops from Lenovo were perfect sized.
  • Are there any other laptops I should consider?
  • Any personal experience to share? I can not find the Dell in store to test (in Germany).

Edit: Being able to charge the device via USB Type C is also an advantage. I image I would drive it with my Razor Core often.

Framework Laptop? I’d take that if its a possibility. Unsure if you could get it now over at EU. Lots of tech youtubers seem to like it including our beloved overlords and LTT.

2 Likes

It looks like eGPUs work with the same enclosure I have (Razer Core X), but I couldn’t quickly find out if it was a x2 or x4 configuration. But I too am fond of the Framework laptop… it’s in consideration :slight_smile:

Edit: I have until December 1st since Germany loves contracts with crazy notice periods

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.