Dell Server and SAN connection

Problem: Need to know what Cable to use to connect Dell-QLogic-QLE2562-DEL-8Gbps to my Dell PowerVault MD1220

Not sure if this is the best place for the post, if not feel free to remove this post. Currently this in relation to a storage server i am building. Due to my lack or research and foresight i purchased 2 pices of equipment and did not verify the connections were the same. That’s where i turn here to ask someone to help me correct my stupidity.

Currently i have the Dell-QLogic-QLE2562-DEL-8Gbps seated in a Dell Poweredge R710, i am trying to connect it to a Dell PowerVault MD1220. It appears that they both use a different cable and i would like to know if there is a cable that will convert one of the connections to the other.

First is the Dell-QLogic-QLE2562-DEL-8Gbps which appears to use what i think to be an SFP connection and it came with an adapter which is to convert an LC connection if google serves me right.
Link to Card Purchased

Next is the Dell PowerVault MD1220 which uses what i believe to be a QSPF+ connection.
Link to Powervault Purchased

I have searched google for a compatible cable however i have not been able to find one being that this is my first time with the equipment i figured i would ask.

Miscellaneous info that may be usefull

• Operating system: ESXi/ Unraid

• Total Storage: 36TB

1 Like

Since the link to the Powervault on ebay has been removed by the seller, I went to the similar ones they were selling. So unless I can see the back of the specific Powervault you bought, take this with a grain of salt. The connections on the back of the Powervault are external SAS connections. They have an in and out so you can daisy chain them together if you need more storage. These then connect to some sort of host that will actually control the drives, be it a SAN controller box or an ESXi host in your case.

The card is a FC connection and is not directly compatible with SAS since the former is fiber optic cable and SAS is a copper connection. You would need something like this:

But before we get into the weeds here, can you confirm that the Powervault I’m looking at is the same as the one you bought?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-PowerVault-MD1220-Storage-Shelf-24-x2-5-034-Tray-Rail-Kit-2x-3DJRJ-SAS-EMM-/322646484202?

Thank you for the response, yes that is the same one that i purchased.

I would say the easiest way to connect the Powervault to your ESXi host is to buy a SAS HBA to install in the host. I’m guessing you would be running some kinda of RAID, so you would need to check that the card you buy supports the type you want. I’d get one with 2 external ports and make sure it has drivers for whatever version of ESXi you are running.

Well i did already get a card the Dell-QLogic-QLE2562-DEL-8Gbps however it appears that the connection is different from the power vault does that mean that they are not compatible. i did find a listing for another card that does seam to be compatible for the system. Link to Ebay Listing What are your thoughts?

The Dell QLogic card is not compatible. The SAS card you linked to should work as long as you don’t need any advanced RAID functions. According to the ebay listing, it only supports 0, 1, and 10. If you wanted RAID 5, 6, 50, or 60, you’d need a better card.

thanks for the clarification, i will look for a card similar to the SAS card. Much appreciated.

Np. Good luck and if you have any other questions, feel free to ask. :slight_smile: