Dell S4048-ON C2000 bug

Hi!

I know this is a very specific issue, but I just got few of Dell S4048-ON switches that have been killed by the infamous C2000 bug.

Now, to help the community that might want to continue operating these units in case of no support from Dell, I would like to invite people to investigate the possible fix to the board. The mainboard is quite obfuscated in terms of markings, so it’s going to be tough to trace the appropriate pins to attach a resistor, which appears to be a fix with Cisco and Synology units.

I will post pictures of the mainboard here shortly.

I have an S4048-ON that has suffered the same fate. Any updates on this or am I on my own to try find a point where the resistor can be attached?

if it has a header like the supermicro board, you can do what I did to make a removable pin header thing:

3 Likes

Finally getting back to this because I too need to clean my workbench! Sadly no such luck with this board having a TPM header. It’s not the same design at all. I’m attaching a picture for reference. Any ideas? https://photos.app.goo.gl/8iPPMoKwtNTj7dAg7 Sadly there appears to be no visible part number for this board…

Does anyone know what the CLOCK signals are supposed to look like before/after the resistor is added on a oscilloscope? I’m betting one of the many headers on that board has the pins exposed, but I have no idea where to look. I don’t have a great scope, just a few of those cheap USB things, but I figured this would be a good way to start at least.

Hi to all.
I have same problem rebooting a S4048-ON Dell switch.
I cannot find any schematics to find LPC_CLKOUT pin (if any) on the mainboard. There is a header type connector near microprocessor but I need schematics to know pinout.

Any news @edolnx ?

Anyone? :slight_smile:

Anyone? I have an S4048-ON that needs this fix. Desperately seeking LPC_CLKOUT :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m still lost on the issue. I got a possible clue from another eletronic forum:
“These switches have an ASPeed BMC, don’t they? Look for a daughterboard with an American Megatrands [sic] MegaRAC sticker. The BMC connects via LPC (and USB and PCIe) to the host, so that would at least narrow down your search a bit.”