Dell R620 Not Using HP/WD Drive - Info on Dell Drives?

So recently I got a dell R620 and R510. The R510 I haven’t really looked at yet, however I don’t doubt the same issue will occur.

I only have 2 or 3 spare drives right new that will fit the R620. An HP 300GB disk, and 2 WD 160GB disks. Now I read online that after a certain update point these machines only take dell drives. I was wondering, is there any way I could use the ones I have now? The HP disk doesn’t work and the WD’s pop up as a mismatch on the controller in the front, so I assume I need the dell specific drives, currently. I didn’t really want to spend on that if I didn’t have to, but oh well.

Otherwise, what are the dell drives, specifically? I usually buy seagate and hgst.

Thanks all.

How are you connect to your backplane? Are you connected via RAID card, HBA, or is it a storage controller that came with the Dell machine?

Depends on the controller, some of the newer controllers from Dell requires dell firmware on the drives. I researched it a while back looking for a hba controller. Found several references on it being possible to flash the disks so they would work, didn’t think it was worth it for my usecase. Afair it was controllers from around 2015 and onwards.

1 Like

Is that an onboard/ soft raid card?

I… Think on mine it is. I had a dig in the case when I got it and couldn’t seeeee a controller, but that doesn’t mean there isn’t one built into the mobo I guess. Also why I didn’t answer immediately.

All the settings are in the dell lifecycle software, so I think its just hhe dell default in it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.