Dell R420

This only applies to outages greater than 5 minutes. Minor power outages are significantly more frequent. Even so this data demonstrates that the average American experiences more than 1 power outage a year.

Steering this back to the point at hand:

1.) OP I hope you did decide to separate your router instance from your storage server and run two boxes instead of one box!

2.) I still hope you have something to prevent your server from suddenly turning off, be it an UPS or faith in your public utility provider.

I have 2 main machine that I ran my network off of. I use vitalization to due that. I used to use old Dell servers. However now I run machine that I built. The short version is that it works well for me. I have been doing this for while. I have use Window Server for file sharing and use DFS. So one the machine can be out and everthing will still work. I have also virtualized my router running PFsense. I also run Unifi so that is image as well. I even run TV as a image. The short version is that virtualization my network I have no issue. I am running Vmware vsphere.
Look at your setup you could use exsi free. Support Max of 32 GB ram. Other couple notes that I would if you are doing that. Use good network card(R420 should be fine). I also recommend use UPS. Also of if that server has enabled use Idrac. In case you are away and need make change.

UPS, I will never trust Utility Companies. Momma didn’t raise no fool, just an idiot :stuck_out_tongue:

I have decided to separate my pfsense from my storage device. Just makes more sense/is less of a headache.

1 Like

So I’ve install xcp-ng and TrueNAS inside of it. After installing I found that I can install VMs inside of TrueNAS. Why didn’t I know that? I don’t know. So why not just install TrueNAS and run everything from there. Seems to me to be a whole lot simpler that way. With the added benefits of utilizing zfs raidz2, or even raidz for more storage. I guess you don’t really know until you start messing with these things more seriously.

I could have sworn I have posted this…

Nope, never mind, it was another topic:

Sorry, I assumed you knew that TrueNAS can run VMs (I did briefly mentioned docker, FreeBSD packages and Jails in my first comment (no. 14 in this thread).

No slight against y’all. I just feel like an idiot having not known that. And I didn’t know about jails or what they are. But about twenty minutes with TrueNAS, and I totally get it.

1 Like

Learning something new makes you the opposite of an idiot.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.