Dell PowerEdge Servers

Hello everyone,

I’m looking at purchasing a new server for our office. Dell is having a sale on the Poweredge R540 and it is 45% off. I would be getting it for around $3,000 CND with one processor.

I’m just gauging the experience people have had with Dell servers. Quality? Customer support? Upgradability?

I’m not looking for help specing the server just reviews on the poweredge products and if I should jump at the sale price.

Thanks!
Devon

I have a Dell R710 from 2012 that I got used on Ebay.

2x Xeon X5675’s and 48GiB of DDR3 1333 RAM.

These things are usually tanks that last a good long time.

Can’t comment on support though.

We exclusively use Dell servers for our clients. From my experience their support is outstanding, at least here in the U.S. If we get a predictive drive failure from the RAID controller the warranty support will send out a new one over next-day air. We had a problem with one T420 that ended up having a bad battery on the iDRAC but it took almost an hour to narrow down, warranty support was great and knowledgeable. I can’t say much for their consumer gear, i’m not personally a fan, but Dell knows what they’re doing when it comes to enterprise gear imho.

Thank you both for the replies. I’m going to go with Dell. I’ve always been happy with them for our PCs and Laptops.

Now, Intel Xeon or EPYC, so many choices!

Thanks again!

1 Like

Hands Down. Unless the Intel will perform the same and is cheaper.

We use hundreds of them. Probably thousands over the company.

There’s support in the UK is good as far as I’ve ever dealt with them.

Keep in mind things like the policies on hard drives and storage media. I think the default from Dell is generally one that requires returning the defective drive. If your company needs to destroy the drives you’ll need to either change this when buying or chat with them when buying so that isn’t part of your contract with them.