Dell PowerEdge R710 Ram Compatibility

Hey Whats up L1 forum,

A question for all the R710 owners, i have the Opportunity to buy a decent amount of ECC Ram for cheap, im currently using the R710 with just 12GB, and currently i dont have any need for more ram but its a good offer:

Samsung Memory
Model: M393B1K70DH0-YH9 10600r 8GB ECC

Can i use this ram on the R710, because a quick google said yes, but then on the Dell Forums, people said that its case to case, and my Dell Rep(From Work) said that he needs the Dell Part Number for the ram(Which the memory doesnt have).

Any help will be really appreciated, thansk in advance

Yes that should be compatible, as its 1333 MHz and what looks like 1.5 V. I think the issue is what processor you use in the R710.

I have an R710 and 1333 MHz ram, but the cpu E5520 only support 1066 MHz so the ram is down-clocked to to supported freq.

Pretty much everything you could need to know is in the technical guidebook.

Note the rules for memory speed also depend on the number and kind of modules you install, not just the processor:

For single- or dual-rank memory modules:
o One memory module per channel supports up to 1333 MHz
o Two memory modules per channel support up to 1066 MHz
o Three memory modules per channel are limited to 800 MHz, regardless of the memory
module speed
For quad-rank memory modules:
o One memory module per channel supports up to 1066 MHz
o Two memory modules per channel are limited to 800 MHz, regardless of memory
module speed

Quad-rank memory is cheaper, but as you can see there are some penalties associated with it. (It’s not explicitly mentioned here, but you cannot populate all 18 slots with quad-rank memory for this generation of hardware.) Fortunately the DIMMs you are looking at are dual rank (that’s the “2R” in “2Rx4”), so you don’t need to worry about it.

You don’t need to worry about the voltage unless you are specifically aiming for power savings:

The Intel Xeon 5500 processor series does not support low voltage operation. However, due to the backwards-compatible nature of low voltage DIMMs, they can be operated at 1.5V.

Also, I have seen DDR3-1600 work in an R710. It will not run at 1600 MHz, and you wouldn’t be able to find any that are officially supported, but sometimes it is cheaper than DDR3-1333.

mmm intresting, I also have access to 6 DIMMS of 8GB ECC 12 800R, this is Dell Ram: KTD-PE316S/8G, i dont know if i should get a bunch of the 10600R+ 12800R or just stick with 10600R.

im just starting to read the Documentation that @carnogaunt linked