Dell P4317Q Monitor Review | Level One Techs

Not really, its not extremely bright, but its pretty typical of most decent panels on the market to be 300-350, while a duller panel can be as low as 250 candelas per square meter.

Having said that while I’d like to say you can compare those numbers between companies, sadly you really can’t, my experience says a cheaper brands 350cd/m2 may be equal or even less than a better brands 300cd/m2. Also that when monitors age their brightness falls away, and quality of the monitor directly effects the rate (although not as bad as the old flouro tube backlit panels)

@wendell, you should compare the Dell monitor with this 4k, 43 inch monitor from LG. Way cheaper.

Also can you make a shirt that says “Wait, should we not have done that” I hear you say it all the time on your weekly show and think its hilarious.

1 Like

@wendell What do you think of the effects of BGR vs RGB subpixel layout? You can set Windows to implement antialiasing correctly with BGR type subpixel, but I have heard that some software such as Acrobat and Chrome do not respect these settings.

Hey! @wendell @ryan @kreestuh , any chance you can test the LG 43 inch for us? There seems to be a problem with burn-in with some of these large monitors and I really want to buy one. Unfortunately, I can’t find any of these in my country (Greece) for display, they have no stock of them and just order one when a consumer places an order. Would be soo glad to know if there is any difference between the Dell and the LG and if I should choose one or the other. Also no Korean monitors here and the import tax is crazy. Help me Obi Wan Wendell, Obi Wan Ryan, Obi Wan Kreestuh, you are my only hope. Thank you for your terrific work!

Skip this dell and go with the LG cheaper and have zero issues with it.

LG 43UD79-B to be exact

Just placed my order with a local “agent” for Dell. It should arrive in about 5 weeks. Sucky part was the 50% deposit, but oh well.

Living on a remote island in the middle of Asia has its downsides…

Thanks to @wendell and @kreestuh for the review that pushed me to making the purchase…

1 Like

https://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-LED-lit-Monitor-43UD79-B/dp/B0711MP768/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1506868116&sr=1-1&keywords=lg+43ud79-b there is always this beauty. 4k, low response time, 4 way splitscreen, etc.
A lot of reviews came out about it recently

Hi all - what’s the consensus re. LCD burn-in? I like to let the screensaver/screen lock kick in a bit late… don’t want pixels burning in though…

Thoughts?

Hi Anyone…

I’ve got one of these monitors - four inputs being used, two with displayport and two with hdmi.

The HDMI look significantly different to the displayport - i’ve tried the windows calibration to get them all the same color but ended up with four different colors - obviously i’m not good at that.

Is there a way to get the HDMI inputs to look that same?

Thanks for the help :slight_smile:

You might have a chroma subsampling problem because of marginal hdmi cables?

I had that problem once, drove myself insane, and its because one input was in 4:2:0 and the other one was 4:4:4

this might not be that, but it’s worth checking. IT WAS THE CABLE. Yeah, I hate cables.

1 Like

It looks like this to me:

1 Like

Thanks - the cables are ok… (different ones tried - change monitors etc)

I have some more information which makes it more confusing…

Here is a picture of notepad… everyone’s favourite tool for display calibration!

As you can see the two notepads on top are (for me) within acceptable difference. BUT it’s the window spread across the change in display cable that is killing my OCD :frowning:

Monitor%20Color%20difference|720x540

are these the same or different computers? if the same computer why do you want to use 4 cables? you can run this display from 1 cable?

2 Likes

Hi, Yes it is the same comuter and one cable ‘works’ ok… But the software we run is a industrial control software designed for 4x1080 screens

So - it does not play nice with one 4k screen - scaling issues, window layout issues and some of the overlays or secondary windows never open the the right place, and do not look right.

We chose this monitor specifically to replace the 4 individual monitors. Most users don’t do anything other than the control on this - however as the engineer i’m using it as my interface to the control system and use it for programming, hence stretch the work over the four displays… and run into the problem :frowning:

I followed the article posted. It has improved it a little bit… so that’s good - it’s not as OCD effecting :slight_smile:

what i ended up with is setting all of the outputs to YCbCr422 or 444 and this gives me the following ‘look’:

This shows how much that improved it… I also tried doing a windows calibrate on the four displays - but made it worse (ie four different zones instead of two)

I can live with this - i’m not sure if there is something else to try short of buying a calibration tool? (which is possible if it’s going to solve it)

Another challenge is installing ‘non supported’ software onto the computer. Being part of the process control network we are always reluctant to do that… so it would be great to have a calibration tool i can run on a different computer to generate new profiles for this one.

2 Likes