Dell P4317Q Monitor Review | Level One Techs

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01F80FSKS/?tag=level1techs-20

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://level1techs.com/video/dell-p4317q-monitor-review
3 Likes

Is it possible to use the picture by picture feature under linux, or is it a windows only software based feature?

its hardware, works fine in linux

3 Likes

Can the picture in picture be used with VSR/DSR to turn it into an 8k display for fun?

Also you guys didn’t mention input lag/grey to grey and what not

gotta get a measuring device, just the high speed footage will have to do. its 60hz… no free sync… so… not the best for gaming

When you spit the PIP and use the same source for multiple quadrents how does that work in the OS ?

Example
1 | 2
3 | 4

you set up Quadrant 3&4 to be off the DP port does it show up as 3840x1080 for that 1 DP cable?

1. Can we get a picture of this side by side a 32" monitor?
  2. Are the color profiles shipped on the Dell cd generic for this model display, or are they unique to the actual monitor which is in the box?

One thing I think is worth mentioning in regards to Dell monitors is the quality of the display controllers. You can plug anything into any input, even with adapter cables (such as DVI to DP) and expect it work perfectly.

I have had no end of weird issues over the years with cheap monitors which one would not expect - not coming back from sleep over DP, randomly shutting off or momentarily power cycling, the above mentioned use of adapter cables being hit and miss. These problems all went away after I started removing the mix-and-match monitors both for personal use and in the workplace.

If you want a monitor that just works and will work for a long time, 60hz is the main compromise you make with Dell, other than the price. Usually the price can be justified alone by USB hub + great stand + not needing adapter cables, since the combined price of those will near reach the price of a cheap display and then buying them later.

Getting a bit older I do not have time for computer shenanigans dealing with basic display functionality, and I’m willing to pay extra for it.

I have 2 questions. How much time does it take from when you hit the power button of the monitor until it shows the image? Is it noticeable slow?
Also, if say, Windows turns off the monitor by user’s inactivity timer does it also take time to show image from when you hit the keyboard again?

I want to know because I find those delays while the monitor shows the company logo unbearable slow and unnecessary.

edit switches to 1080p for 4 up pip

Also a side note, but did you see the 4k 120hz display video? Any chance you guys are going to pick one up for more advanced testing/DIY stuff? Perhaps with a VA panel?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rG_a7Qs2odc

PBP 3 window mode2
is the one I am talking about is the top one how does that show up

1920x2160 + 2x 1080p if it’s the one I’m thinking of

You cant flip that 19x21 to the bottom from what I can tell correct its just across the top

Does this monitor have the same burn-in issues like the acer and philips 43" ?

I know I’m pretty twisted but I heard a missed opportunity for a gag.

‘You really should unbox these on the floor, but we’re professionals.’
‘You just take out the plastic things, and lift & separate the top half of the box from the bottom.’

This monitor review brought to you by Playtex.

idk own this monitor, but i have the Dell P2715q no burns i will think that Dell will use same quality Panels for other displays with the P Model

No, the grade of panel is such that if it does burn in, dell will warranty it

A challenger approaches
$599 for a 43" 4k display

1 Like

See earlier in this thread:

So such a thing may be “good value” but it comes with its own compromises…

300 cd/m2 is pretty low for brightness as well right?