Dell laptop board level/component repair

I have a Dell Inspiron “Gaming” 7567 laptop which will not charge its battery. The battery is in good health, and it fails to charge with multiple power supplies. I sent it off to a 3rd party repair shop for diagnosis and they told me the problem was the battery management system on the motherboard. For the low, low price of $375 - $450 they offered to replace the motherboard. Of course they didn’t have any boards in stock at the time.

From what I can tell the ‘battery management system’ is a single IC on the logic board, but no one seems willing to do board level repair (ala Louis Rossman) on this stupid Dell. I’ve tried multiple local shops, as well as the mail-in facility.

TL;DR Anyone know of a reliable company that can do board level repairs on a Dell laptop? (I’m in the USA)

Is it the BMS or is it the battery protection circuit on the battery itself? I’d question the original diagnosis.

FWIW, the battery passes both the Dell Power Manager and BIOS diagnostics. Both indicate that the battery is in ‘Excellent’ health. I’m not sure if that’s conclusive, but I don’t have much else to go on.

Its hard to tell without another known good battery to test.

So another clue - BIOS reports that the wattage of the AC adapter cannot be determined - no matter what charger I plug into it.

Technician notes on the invoice state that the BMS is in fault.

Well thats not the battery then. Its certainly the cause of your no charging condition, however theres more to that system than just the BMS.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.