Delidding my 7700k

So I’m thinking about delidding my 7700k I’m running a 21% overclock atm. Currently I’m pushing 85c under prolonged aida64 stress tests I’d like to drop that to 75c or so.

I plan to use the Rockit 88 Delid tool and Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut for the delidding.

1 Like

Cool. Is like to see pictures of it through the process!

Got my tool in today delid went great now I’m running 5.1ghz at 70c.
ran a 45 min test but picture didn’t come out clear so had to re-run.

2 Likes

Well, done! Say, could you try a test with ROG RealBench? I often made the experience that different stresstests made my CPU lock up at different clocks. might be good to verify just to be sure it’s really stable.

Do you know how often you need to re-apply thermal paste when de-lidded?

that’s pretty cool I have a 7700k my self at some point I will try over clocking because I have a good cooler I just haven’t gotten around to it yet. On a side note you might want to try using snipping tool it should be installed into Windows by default and might give you a better picture.

I delidded my 7700k a while ago and it was completely worth it. It could do 5GHz before delid but it was almost 100C even with a custom loop. After delid I still hit 5GHz around 80C (ambient around 25C) and sometimes just a tad higher when the GPU heat is included in the loop.

+1 on either snipping tool or just hitting print screen, there’s no reason to take a picture of your monitor unless you’re not somewhere that you can do that, like while booting. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

@Karmek Ran a 1 hour stress test with ROG RealBench other than me not liking the program it passed with flying colors.

As for your other question from what I understand the liquid metal compound will stay fluid for a long time, but I’ll keep doing what I’ve always done and reapply every 2 years.

@lessaj I’m running a Thermaltake 360 AIO with the stated results. I have considered a custom loop, but then I start thinking Murphy’s law and talk myself out of it too many failure points.

1 Like

That should be plenty of cooling for that chip though. :slight_smile: Maybe one day you can go full custom, it is pretty cool and fun to do.

That’s very good information. thank you for that!

I have a 6700K at 4.5GHz (both, core and cache clocks). That’s the best i could get without massively overvolting it. Right now it’s sitting at 1.310V, keeping it save. Maybe I will try delidding and pushing it further when warranty runs out this Summer.

I haven’t done this yet, but I’ve been able to get a stable 5.1-5.2 ghz by submerging my radiator in a cooler of ice chilled water. I just change out 2 liter bottles from the freezer every few hrs or so.

1 Like

I just finally mustered the balls to de-lid my 7700k, stock temps at load with an NH-D15s went from 65-70c to 45-50c. Going to revert back to my 4.8ghz overclock now. Made more of a difference than I thought it would.

1 Like

I recently delidded my 4690k and had some issues. Apparently I used too much liquid metal (I used the same amount on an I3 from the same generation as practice and it had no issues).

Luckily it did not fry the chip, just made it not boot. Just redid all of it and will be testing this weekend.

If all goes well, I will be doing the same to my 7700k in the future. Current temps at stock clocks with turbo are frigging horrible, even with a custom loop with a 1080ti in the same loop (which runs much, much cooler)