Deinterlacing/detelecining Star Trek episodes

Thanks, I’ll take a look!

1 Like

Wow, you really know your stuff! This is still all very confusing to me, as I am still learning all the terms and how all of it works, but I am very determined to get there.

Can you clear up, as to why the makers of the series didn’t just stick with just one framerate or one telecine/interlace pattern? I actually do not understand why they did it like they did.

How do you suggest I treat different passages of the same video file in different manners? Would I have to cut the equivalent scenes into seperate files, process them and then stitch all of them back together? Or is there some algorithm, that works out which scene is telecined, interlaced and running at which framerate?
You do not need to go into detail, I’m just curious which road I should plan on going.

Thanks for your input!

That would be awesome!
I watched some of the remastered TNG episodes and I was blown away by the DS9 Sacrifice of Angels CGI remake!

Maybe we should start a petition.

Greetings fellow Trekkie,

Sounds promising!
Apparently there is no way around avisynth, so I think I will look into experimenting with that first.

doom9 forums apparently are still a thing.

I would like to thank you all for your confusing but ultimately helpful posts!
I love the old Star Trek series very much and although the road to riches seems to be rockier than I thought, I am very motivated and will certainly look into all your suggestions. I’m a perfectionist, so I guess you will probably hear from me more often.

Cheers!
I mean…live long and prosper :vulcan_salute:t2:

2 Likes

MPEG-2 streams have interlace or pulldown flags to tell the player a stream is turning from a telecine framerate to a PsF or Interlaced framerate. The closest thing to this for progressive scan is variable frame rate encoding.

If you encode in MPEG-TS in a proper way (Transport Stream) you can intersplice 2 different framerates by mid-stream changing the content to something completely different with no loss to picture quality or glitches. I do not know how they’d be able to do this in MP4, but most online streaming is MPEG TS which allows them to change to a different format on the fly.

Example: CBSN has a live feed and a canned promo reel/standby playlist. When the network has to go to break, the Amazon AWS CDN redirects the MPEG TS source from the live encoder at 29.97 to a canned playlist with 23.976 content seamlessly. No glitches. Then it switches back when the break is over.

1 Like

Yeah, for perfectionist you will need to learn MPEG-TS, bitrate, framerate, detelecine, and potentially use a NVIDIA Shield and capture it’s output for it’s DLSS upscaling. The NVIDIA solution is the simplest one if you don’t want to build Video2x, since that still needs training.