Degoogling: Alternatives to Google Analytics

In an effort to remove myself from big brother googles all-seeing eye I have increasingly reduced of google products and opted to use FOSS or just different software.
For the New Year my goal was to start seriously blogging and making videos, yes for youtube but for LBRY as well. For my blog, however, I’m trying to veer away from intentionally embedding trackers from google and facebook.
I was reading this article:

And I was wondering if anyone in the community had used any of these suggested?

2 Likes

I’ve been using self-hosted Matomo for my clients for years. Highly recommended.

If you go the self-hosted route, make sure to use InnoDB and not MyISAM. On small installs, it won’t matter but on large installs it’s critical. InnoDB doesn’t need a global lock to do a mysqldump, so live backups won’t require downtime or maintenance mode.

You can track via pixels or JS, it respects Do Not Track, and after the initial install, most things can be done via the control panel. Some upgrades require running a command via CLI, but the admin panel generates it for you. You can just cut-and-paste after verifying it’s what you want.

The only issues I’ve encountered with it are scaling, and the documentation has always been helpful when I run into specific issues.

If you don’t want to self-host, they offer it as a service, too.

2 Likes