Deepin linux and Deepin Desktop environment

im running the os native, deepin 15.8-3. i added access to ubuntu and debian repos, but i am still running the deepin repos. more for the full experience only grabbing what i need if something doesn’t work. needed some libusb stuff from ubuntu to get my keyboard rgb and pyusb for easier python stuff… but its been mostly painless… i don’t understand xrandr and reading makes more questions than answers…

1 Like

I’ve been running Deepin over the weekend. Added the deb and deb-src ubuntu repositories, while leaving the Deepin repositories. Installed the Nvidia proprietary driver-- most up to date was 390.67? Does that sound right? That was through a PPA, i’m not sure what your setup is or if you’re using an AMD card. Playing native games fine, Shadow of Mordor and Borderlands 2 run great. Setup up Lutris and was playing Path of Exile in 1 click, terrible performance however. Went from 144fps on Windows to 60 fps on Deepin. But alas, this is all part of the Deepin experiment. Other than that I love the desktop, doing my homework on it today.

Edit* it’s harsh to say a game running at fps is terrible performance, but on a gtx 1080 ti, you get the idea.

1 Like

Earlier I ran into some mesa issue and remembered updated kernel would help… Deepin didn’t like that and it nuked. Reinstalled…

brand spanking new kernel, deepin isn’t ready for or I messed something up… oh well. Defualt kernel with deepin-15.8+4 attempted to go to 4.19 generic 100% my fuck up

Are you using Ukuu? I didn’t see a built in kernel manager in Deepin.

I’ve had a few errors, all when it comes to Steam. Playing Slay the Spire (native linux) freezes upon launching. Can’t get it to load in windowed or full screen without freezing. Shadow of Mordor runs great, but I have to launch it in windowed mode, then switch the full screen in game. I’ve tried installing the 410 nvidia driver from PPA but no luck, using 390.67 proprietary.

Ryzen 1700
16gb 3200
Gtx 1080 TI
adata 480 gb NVME

1 Like

it took a while to get ukuu working but i dunno how i got it working… though because i was trying a bunch of things and that might have been the issue i nuked it… but it was working. in the end its no biggy …
hmmm ill try SoM later i have it, see how it runs for me and check back with you. busy with studying for/in winter mini semester.

What does Deepin have as far as a file-manager?
Do they do anything to make GTK applications look at home, I imagine things like web-browsers and file-pickers might look out of place.

1 Like

its pretty fast on searches not the fastest but pretty and fast

most is gtk based stuff i was realllllyyyyyyyyy surprised about the base stuff the store fairly update things even Vivaldi steam and lutris theres some things but over all unless is a using python (because my inexperience ) runs pretty well. heck runescape even had a icon that fit all the deepin default themes.

when inside diffren’t from base applications some of the deepin features go away chrome has its own dark theme so it takes that over vs deepins global dark theme (or per app) not alot of snap features but key commands annoying imo

1 Like

Think I’ll load this up in a VM and play around with it. Thanks!

1 Like

3 Likes

so after playing with deepin as my base now sense November now on deepin 15.8-5 when i started it was 15.8-1. A lot of optimizations have been flowing and over all stability seems to be a better goal with deepin and not 100% cutting edge as from my experience updating graphics drivers they seem to be using the Debian stable approved drivers and its a fun time to force newer drivers. updating the kernel is not a good move i spent a lot of time getting ukuu which i know was my fault on nuking the system.
the gnu boot loader that comes with deepin is awesome imo being able to have os control over booting into bios allowing me to actually have ultra fast boot on.
over all the experience was easier to set up then ubuntu on install. For most cases the deepin store is up-to-date and they take some pride in a fairly up-to-date store. unlike ubuntu’s some things for 11.04 that are super broken are still there for example. ubuntu has a wider selection but everything on the deepin store works.
the take i get from deepin is its stable and it works its pretty and has a windows esk or osx feel depending on your choice. honestly i would recommend this for beginners over ubuntu at this point as most things do work that work on ubuntu, works on deepin out of the box. if not the learning curve is not steep just finding things that are missing most of the time.
The deb install tool is amazing for this as it tells you what is missing or broken IN A GUI !~

A lot of deepin is gui based its a perfect for beginners and people looking for a stable linux experience as nothing is locked to one flavor and the stability of this distro i will be keeping it full time and hopefully helping some people in the door to linux

1 Like

running a week on Deepin 15.9 on a IntelNUC i7 with 32GB Ram on 4K screen.
also added the debian sources from https://www.debian.org/security/

been hopping for a while and really wanted POP!_OS to work, it has a great workflow and shortcuts but little glitchy for me (guess hidpi?). even on the latest IntelNUC, which they 100% suppose to support ?! hhmm.
Well since running deepin, bootup is extremely fast. They install WPS-office installed by default and I went to Libre-office but it doesnt scale well on hidpi, so i might go back to WPS-office which did a slightly better job.
the application of their theming is very consistent throughout the OS, although the calendar is still white while i have a dark theme, and you cant change it, anyone any ideas ?

1 Like

Did a bit of testing with Deepin’s Installer, and also loaded the Deepin Desktop GUI over Ubuntu. It’s a really nice desktop for those uninitiated to Linux vs Windows.

The Deepin OS base install has an updated version of the GUI, and the Windows (effcient) version of the GUI is very windows 7 style and looks really great. I feel I could actually get my parents to use that version of it.

The Deepin GUI installed over a base Ubuntu 18.04 install has all of the Ubuntu repositories setup, though the GUI is definitely an older version, as changing the GUI to efficient mode has a slightly different setup that isn’t quite the same as the WIndows 7 style of the later iterations. Still looks really good though.

If DeepinOS actually installed on ESXi I’d definitely do more testing, but unfortunately it doesn’t for whatever reason. Back to Mint OS :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

It is pretty slick on first inspection. I have it in a VM using the mac like ui.

1 Like

Not everyone cut their computing teeth on Windows, which is the environment people mean when they toss out “traditional desktop”. So, some folks have programmed themselves to be comfortable with the panel-and-menu approach Windows uses, and others are comfortable using the dock plus full screen app display OS X uses.

In the end, there’s very little real difference between the two styles. I’ve never found it credible that people find it difficult to move between them.

People can be inflexible for certain things. Really it’s the software that should be flexible.